12 volt air conditioner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Considering your current setup with one battery and a 100-watt solar panel, it's unlikely to provide enough power to run a 12-volt air conditioner continuously. A single battery typically has a capacity of around 100-150 Ah, which might not be sufficient for your needs. The 100-watt solar panel can help recharge your battery, but it may not fully compensate for the power consumed by the air conditioner.
Pretty beefy battery. Your standard lead-acid Group 29 or 31 12V DC (Deep Cycle) battery runs in the 85-90 Ah range.

Near as I can tell there are a couple of designs. One is a 12V compressor motor and one "dresses up fancily" what is basically an AC motor and inverter.

I gotta believe the AC unit has unacceptable conversion losses.

I once wondered about the efficiency of PSW v/s MSW inverters.. Turns out they are about 90% efficient.. Don't matter which. peak efficiency is 90%. Motors are not that efficient.
Neither are alternators or generators (Though I suspect alternators are a touch better than generators but I've not compared)

In Use application in a smaller van. On a larger Class B you'll easily be using 2-4 times the running amps (~20 per hour) shown in the video.

I bought a Midea U-shaped "smart inverter" 120 volt window air conditioner to cool my shop. It's essentially a mini-split in a single package that keeps the compressor noise isolated on the outside. 12000 BTU on sale for $310 at Costco. It's meant to go in a double hung window but only requires the construction of an insulated panel to fill the U-channel to mount in a regular cutout. It's remarkably quiet and efficient with a Energy Star 15 SEER rating, the highest I've seen. It has a measured draw of 650 watts at it's maximum setting, less than half as much power as a rooftop RV air conditioner that produces about the same amount of cooling.

12,000 BTU U-shaped Air Conditioner

If you run this on a 90% efficient inverter it will draw about 48 amps at 12 volts, the same power as the 12 volt "mini-split" in the video that only provides 8000 BTU.

Back
Top Bottom