2002 Journey - Instrument Panel Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Top38

When I put the key in the run position the dash does not light up as usual and also in the start position it's also dead, motor doesn't turn over. I just notice this since it's winter, I just went in to give it a check the other day since it was warm outside and tried to start it. Batteries are good. I will check the ignition switch but wondering if there are any relays that also power the dash and starter or fuses that should also be checked. Anyone run into this in the past?
Thanks

When I put the key in the run position the dash does not light up as usual and also in the start position it's also dead, motor doesn't turn over. I just notice this since it's winter, I just went in to give it a check the other day since it was warm outside and tried to start it. Batteries are good. I will check the ignition switch but wondering if there are any relays that also power the dash and starter or fuses that should also be checked. Anyone run into this in the past?
Thanks
I dont know what they did in 2002, but I have a chassis battery disconnect in the rear engine access.
You say the batteries are good.. how do you know that, have you actually looked at them with a voltmeter? The XC chassis slowly bleeds off current to keep the engine and transmission CPU memory alive, and if you havent started it for a month+, thats what you're gonna get.

BTW, If the 2002 has a cute little 15w solar panel… They are useless

I dont know what they did in 2002, but I have a chassis battery disconnect in the rear engine access.
You say the batteries are good.. how do you know that, have you actually looked at them with a voltmeter? The XC chassis slowly bleeds off current to keep the engine and transmission CPU memory alive, and if you havent started it for a month+, thats what you're gonna get.

BTW, If the 2002 has a cute little 15w solar panel… They are useless
Batteries are good, yes checked with both the volt meter on the panel in the coach and with a meter at the batteries!

I think there is a continuous rated solenoid that is the issue. The coach is wrapped up for winter but I am trying to get an idea now before spring hits.

There are two solenoids that I'm aware of - the battery mode solenoid (bridges the house and chassis battery bank together so the house bank will be charged from the engine) and the house 12V solenoid (turns power off and on to the house.)

The dash and engine should always have power as long as the chassis battery bank is functional. Winnebago added a chassis battery bank cutoff switch to later model years - my 2005 Horizon had one. There were zillions of complaints about the chassis battery bank getting discharged while the coach was stored/not used due to parasitic loads with the engine and transmission control modules.

There are two solenoids that I'm aware of - the battery mode solenoid (bridges the house and chassis battery bank together so the house bank will be charged from the engine) and the house 12V solenoid (turns power off and on to the house.)

The dash and engine should always have power as long as the chassis battery bank is functional. Winnebago added a chassis battery bank cutoff switch to later model years - my 2005 Horizon had one. There were zillions of complaints about the chassis battery bank getting discharged while the coach was stored/not used due to parasitic loads with the engine and transmission control modules.
John

The chassis batteries will die when the unit is in winter storage for sure due to small drains, common on most if not all MH's even with switches to disconnect the batteries - always seems to be some small circuit(s) powered before the cutoff switch! But I installed a TRIK-L-Start to keep them charged during long storage periods. From what I have discovered there is a Trombella continuous duty solenoid along with the one that connects the coach and chassis batteries located just above the generator. The Trombella unit does pass 12v to the dash per Winnie's electrical diagrams (both the LJ, LG and LH wires along with the Cable ASM-Coach BKR Feeder), so this is my first target to test once I undercover the MH next month. I could also check the ignition switch now but the radio does come on in the run position so it's probably not that.

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1016.JPG
    IMG_1016.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 5
I didn't think the dash power was sourced from either of those solenoids but the wiring diagrams are the ultimate authority. Congratulations on digging into the wiring diagrams - it's a great resource from Winnebago.

Is it opened up yet?
Yes, weather here has been rotten until last week. Found the issue, thought it was one on the solenoids. Sometimes the dash would light right up and others it would be delayed for 30 to 45 seconds and others nothing for minutes. It turned out to be a relay stack in the lower left hand side of this area, behind the access plate. When it wouldn't power up a started tapping on the solenoids and everything else until it got it t turn on the dash power. The relay stack over time loosened up. I am going to wrap some zip ties around it to help support it and keep them in good contact where they plug in to the panel. There are a number of wires coming out the side which added to the problem developing over time.

Back
Top Bottom