7-Pin Connection ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gizmo

Hello, I just received the Viar 400P which was pictured with alligator clamps when I bought it, but mine came with a 7-pin connector for power. Not a big problem since our primary use is for our RV (Class C), but was hoping to also be able to use in our car which does not have a 7-pin connector. So my question is there an adapter to go from the 7-pin to alligator clamps available?

I don't know if you can find one already made, but it would be easy to make one. You're only looking and two wires. Buy a 7 pin receptacle and some alligator clips.

I don't know if you can find one already made, but it would be easy to make one. You're only looking and two wires. Buy a 7 pin receptacle and some alligator clips.
Thank you, I was initially thinking of that but thought if an adapter was available it would save me another project, albeit a small one.

The two wires are BATTERY (positive use a red clip and wire I'd for fort 10ga or larger) and "Ground/Common" That gets the black lead. Total time to assemble is on the order of five minutes or less.

They are a real company, why not make this their problem?

Sadly, it seems today's world is based on "buy something, get it home and then fix it." We have to stop accepting mediocrity, poor quality and broken promises.

Most of the adapters with alligator clips have a 2-pin or 3-pin outlet on the other end, but you can probably find a second adapter to get from that to a 7-pin. Might be easier & cheaper to make your own, though.
Viair offers a alligator-2pin adapter.

Frankly, I'd consider returning that Viair to the seller and get the one with the connector you want [and expected from the photo]. Either in exchange or get a refund and buy elsewhere. It comes as a kit with everything you need. Here it is at Amazon:

It makes little sense to spend $25-$50 on adapters simply because they sent an unsuitable model.

Last edited:
Most of the adapters with alligator clips have a 2-pin or 3-pin outlet on the other end, but you can probably find a second adapter to get from that to a 7-pin. Might be easier & cheaper to make your own, though.

Frankly, I'd consider returning that Viair to the seller and get the one with the connector you want [and expected from the photo]. Either in exchange or get a refund and buy elsewhere. It comes as a kit with everything you need. Here it is at Amazon:

It makes little sense to spend $25-$50 on adapters simply because they sent an unsuitable model.
I agree with all you say and thank you, but I am under a bit of a time crunch, so I am going to make my own with parts sourced locally for just a few dollars.

Strange that the Viair website does not show the 7 pin plug coming with the 400P. Only the alligator clips. There is an optional 7 pin cord available.
I would question using 7 pin connector. The 400P can draw up to 30 amps. I wonder if the vehicle wiring is sized to supply 30 amps. It would have to be 12 ga wire.
They do show alligator clips to SAE connector on the website.
Was this purchased new? If so, contact the seller.

The 400P can draw up to 30 amps. I wonder if the vehicle wiring is sized to supply 30 amps. It would have to be 12 ga wire.
The Viair with the clips connects directly to the vehicle battery, and you certainly want the engine running when using it. All the pix show clips. I see the 400 rated at 30 amps with a 40 amp fuse.

Viair shows this adapter on the website, which adapts a two pin to a 7 pin, to plug into the tow vehicle 7 pin:

The Viair with the clips connects directly to the vehicle battery, and you certainly want the engine running when using it. All the pix show clips. I see the 400 rated at 30 amps with a 40 amp fuse.

Viair shows this adapter on the website, which adapts a two pin to a 7 pin, to plug into the tow vehicle 7 pin:
But that doesn't solve the problem of the vehicle wiring not being sufficient to supply 30 amps.
That adapter is also shown in the Viair TLC bike site.

Strange that the Viair website does not show the 7 pin plug coming with the 400P. Only the alligator clips. There is an optional 7 pin cord available.
I would question using 7 pin connector. The 400P can draw up to 30 amps. I wonder if the vehicle wiring is sized to supply 30 amps. It would have to be 12 ga wire.
They do show alligator clips to SAE connector on the website.
Was this purchased new? If so, contact the seller.
I was wondering about that too, but didn't want to muddy the discussion further. I don't see any 400P package that comes with a 7-pin only. All three 400P packages shown on the Viair site have battery clamps.

Last edited:
I was wondering about that too, but didn't want to muddy the discussion further. I don't see any 400P package that comes with a 7-pin only. All three 400P packages shown on the Viair site have battery clamps.
Yes when I was making the purchase I only saw the alligator clamps. I have sent a message which at this point is more of a complaint since I am under a time crunch and getting ready to make my own "adapter".

You will need a SAE power cable and two HD alligator clips. Only problem is finding the connector. Auto parts stores used to sell them, but searching only comes up with Amazon.

Exactly! I"d return the Viair unit and buy the Harbor Freight knock-off for $75. The only major difference is the duty-cycle.
I bought mine in 2008 for $59 and it's still running strong.

UPDATE: I purchased this from ETrailer and when I contacted them they indicated I can return for a refund. However besides I am in need to have it before return and receipt of a new one can be completed, Etrailer return policy requires I pay for return shipping. Shipping is likely to cost more than making my own adapter to alligator clamps. Also, I contacted Viar and here is there response.

Hello Bruce,
Thank you for reaching out.

Did you purchase this unit from E-Trailer? Is the 7Pin connected directly to the compressor?

If yes, then you will need to convert it to an SAE so you can use either the 7Pin or alligator clamps.

Electrical | VIAIR Corporation

Also, I found out the wire gauge used between the unit and the 7-pin plug is 12awg. Thanks all for your help and comments.

12 gauge wire is nominally rated for 20A but can handle 30+ for short periods. The Viair 400P specs claim the max draw @ 12v is 30A, but I would not try to do that for more than a couple minutes. If the inflation task is longer than that, keep a hand on those wires to feel if they are getting hot.

Thank you Gary, I agree with your points, spot on as always.
Also, I attached two photos from the box it came in. The first is the all inclusive photo and the second the portion of the printed descriptions of what is included, also indicating alligator clamps.

Attachments

• IMG_2152.jpeg
    IMG_2152.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2151.jpeg
    IMG_2151.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 2
I'm curious... did the 7-pin plug to the power cord via an SAE 12v (or other sort of plug-in) or was it hardwired, i.e. not detachable. I'm wondering if you received a unit that somebody returned with an accessory attached, or whether is was factory-made that way.

I'm curious... did the 7-pin plug to the power cord via an SAE 12v (or other sort of plug-in) or was it hardwired, i.e. not detachable. I'm wondering if you received a unit that somebody returned with an accessory attached, or whether is was factory-made that way.
It came hardwired with Viar stamped on the plug. After my previous post, I received a reply from Viar who said the unit I received from Viar is made by Viar for Etrailer. With regards to the photos showing the alligator clamps, they say they have not gotten around to changing the photos.

Back
Top Bottom