Baking on the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

Am considering baking on my Olympian 1400 gas grill, and am thinking a rectangular pizza stone on top of the grill grate would help to distribute the heat after the top of the grill is closed.

Experimenting, I learned that the grill will maintain temperatures in the 300 - 500 degree F range.

Anyone have any experience with baking on a BBQ grill?

You're brave, I think, trying with bread. I've had luck with things like quick breads, coffee cakes, and the like. Maybe if you put the loaf in a dutch oven on the grill that'd contain the heat better.

Even with experience doing traditional grilling, I end up trying as I go when switching to a different grill. IOW, I'm not sure there's a paint by numbers doing what you want because every grill is different. My vote would be to whip up some dough and try it. You might end up with a couple bricks or loaf charcoal but you tweak time and temperature as you go, and you'll know pretty quickly if the idea will have any traction or not.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I'd be willing to give it a try. Make sure that you use indirect heat and don't put the dough right over the burner. We bake pizza a couple of times a year and it turns out great. I'll have to give bread a try.

Back
Top Bottom