Boondocking besides the western states

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

airborne_spoon

I was raised in CA and NV a lot of my camping travels are in the western states and there is BLM land like everywhere that can be camped on for free or like 6 bucks a day.

I was on the BLM website the other day and there is like nothing to the east of the Midwest as far as random open land to just go camping on or campgrounds.

Am I missing something, like where do y'all go boondocking if not on BLM land?

A lot of unusable land is out in the rural western states. Other than for purposes of mining, oil and gas, sheep and cattle, recreational, wilderness and national parks it's not too livable. It's climate and terrain is close to uninhabitable for the majority of people. Not like that in the Mid-west.

In my state of Colorado no major city exists above the 6,800 feet average elevation except for smaller city/towns of Breckenridge and Woodland Park, etc. and above 10,000 feet just a handful of small city/towns other than Leadville and Alma exist. Mainly to support mining and ski resorts. Not many folks live above 11,000 feet or on a mountain. So it's BLM land. We have a lot of land above 10,000 feet.

"With an average altitude of about 6,800 feet above sea level, Colorado is the highest contiguous State in the Union. Roughly three-quarters of the Nation's land above 10,000 feet altitude lies within its borders. The State has 59 mountains 14,000 feet or higher, and about 830 mountains between 11,000 and 14,000 feet in elevation."

In the east, at least east of the Mississippi, there are few public lands that you can just stop and stay on, if you are referring to that kind of boondocking. There are many public campgrounds and of course private ones, so there is no shortage of places to stay, just not like the dispersed camping of the west.

City, county, and state campgrounds along with COE make up the vast majority of campgrounds. Florida has campgrounds many have never heard of, operated by the Florida Water Managment Districts. Texas (well, not east as I defined above but still east of the Rockies) has campgrounds such as those operated by the Trinty River Authority, and sometimes you will find even Federal campgrounds you really don't expect, such as the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge campground which is a very nice, managed campground with hookups, restrooms and showers, etc, but is still first come, first serve (which is hopefully where you will find me a year from now for the solar eclipse, as it is on the center line of the path of the eclipse). Who ever thought you could camp in a NWR?

In Georgia, the Georgia Power Company operates many recreation areas around the lakes that they own, including some very nice, reasonably priced campgrounds, and guess what?, the most stable power of any campground you will ever stay in. (transformers for every four or five sites). In Tennessee, you will find a similar situation with the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Charles

Last edited:
Out here in Western Colorado we're quickly losing a lot of boondocking areas. It's becoming more like the east. Wilderness areas and no boondocking in vast regions. When the Covid-19 hit, Moab used it as an excuse to close off all boondocking within a 25 mile radius. Wyoming is closing off humongous regions for windfarms. Basically it's keep out or pay at a state run or National Forest campground. Times are changing fast.

In the east, at least east of the Mississippi, there are few public lands that you can just stop and stay on, if you are referring to that kind of boondocking. There are many public campgrounds and of course private ones, so there is no shortage of places to stay, just not like the dispersed camping of the west.

City, county, and state campgrounds along with COE make up the vast majority of campgrounds. Florida has campgrounds many have never heard of, operated by the Florida Water Managment Districts. Texas (well, not east as I defined above but still east of the Rockies) has campgrounds such as those operated by the Trinty River Authority, and sometimes you will find even Federal campgrounds you really don't expect, such as the Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge campground which is a very nice, managed campground with hookups, restrooms and showers, etc, but is still first come, first serve (which is hopefully where you will find me a year from now for the solar eclipse, as it is on the center line of the path of the eclipse). Who ever thought you could camp in a NWR?

In Georgia, the Georgia Power Company operates many recreation areas around the lakes that they own, including some very nice, reasonably priced campgrounds, and guess what?, the most stable power of any campground you will ever stay in. (transformers for every four or five sites). In Tennessee, you will find a similar situation with the Tennessee Valley Authority.

Charles
Yeah that's what I'm saying like in CA there are dozens of free to camp land and campgrounds in half a days drive. Same goes for most of the western states. But then you hit the Midwest and suddenly it's only paid private campgrounds or state parks but no free areas to go camping.

And yeah my definition of boondocking is camping in the wild with no hookups of any kind just out in nature.

Look at state fish and wildlife areas. These are frequently open for boondocking, but check about regulations; some require a state license. Also check out state and national forests. Those are more common than BLM. But there is no question it is significantly harder west of the Rockies.

Look at state fish and wildlife areas. These are frequently open for boondocking, but check about regulations; some require a state license. Also check out state and national forests. Those are more common than BLM. But there is no question it is significantly harder west of the Rockies.

Harder "East" of the Rockies! Denver is out in the mid-west to us. It's a nightmare to even get close to all that dense population and traffic congestion from where we reside west of the Rockies. LOL!

Who ever thought you could camp in a NWR?
Me. One of my favorite boondock sites is a NWR outside of Maxwell, NM. They have about 6 sites you can use for 3 nights for free. They didn't have any problem with us extending our stay a couple of days when we had RV problems and had to wait on a part.

We boondock at SWA areas in Colorado, but we both have to be carrying a hunting, fishing, or SWA license/pass. Everyone older than 16 has to. There's rules for our dogs too. Sometimes they're prohibited unless used as aids to bird hunting. Wear orange during hunting season. Our closest SW has vehicle restricted access dates. Closed to all vehicles from December 1st through August 1st.

Last edited:
Me. One of my favorite boondock sites is a NWR outside of Maxwell, NM. They have about 6 sites you can use for 3 nights for free. They didn't have any problem with us extending our stay a couple of days when we had RV problems and had to wait on a part.

We boondock at SWA areas in Colorado, but we both have to be carrying a hunting, fishing, or SWA license/pass. Everyone older than 16 has to. There's rules for our dogs too. Sometimes they're prohibited unless used as aids to bird hunting. Wear orange during hunting season. Our closest SW has vehicle restricted access dates. Closed to all vehicles from December 1st through August 1st.
Exactly my point there are spots everywhere in the western states. But why isn't there anything when you go east?

Generally speaking, in the east there is more wooded areas in unpopulated areas, which exists out west. This also prevents building roads and the need for roads to wonder in and out of the dense regions of the wooded areas. There are some really nice Army Corp of Engineers campgrounds though. If you have a seniors pass, its really cheap by comparison to your privately owned ones. Of course some simple roads are avaliable , but big rigs and even towing TTs and 5th wheels into the areas on the primitive roads are not practical or smart. Many are used for forest management by just trucks or vans.

Exactly my point there are spots everywhere in the western states. But why isn't there anything when you go east?
Well, to start with, look at population density in the East, compared to the West.
Also, the whole notion of land use changed going into the 20th century when the Western states began developing. their lands.

There are "unimproved" areas for camping here in Florida in both the state and national forests. Access roads but not services or sites, Sometimes just a modest area set aside and sometimes a whole section of forest. Georgia has some in state parks or state forests too. NY used to have them in the Adirondack & Catskills regions but it's been decades since I've been there.

Many national forests in the Eastern U.S. have primitive campgrounds which are 1st come 1st serve. Usually, those require that you move after 7 to 14 days.

Last edited:
I know that in Michigan there are National Forest Service lands where you can camp without hookups. So look for National and State Forest Service lands east of the Mississippi instead of searching for BLM camping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom