Boondocking Newport Beach California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

downunder

Hey there
Has anyone found a place to boondock in the Newport Beach/Costa Mesa? it seems they have a city ordinance in place prohibiting RVs to park on the street unless it s registered to the house there.

The nearest places I know of are Doheny State Beach (Near Dana Point) and San Onofre State Beach (Near San Clemente). Make reservations 6 months in advance.

Try RvParky.com.

Not boondocking, But I think OC Fair grounds have rv camping with hookups…
Butch

I spent a lot of time in HB on business. I think you are being pretty naive to think some of the most expensive areas in one of the more expensive states will have boondocking available. I have seen some under the radar van campers on residential streets, but I have also driven past them getting moved on by police. These folks like their exclusive area and aren’t fond of interlopers. Good luck.

There truly is no free boondocking in coastal Southern California. We stay at the state park campgrounds in Southern California frequently. Boondocking is strongly discouraged in the beach cities. I’ve seen a number of people with annual day use passes spending the day in the beach day use areas. They disappear when the day use area closes and reappear in the morning. No idea where they hide out during the day, perhaps industrial areas. If you’re looking for dry camping, at a cost, San Clemente and Crystal Cove State Parks have non-hookup sites but it’s ridiculously expensive and I suspect you’re looking for free.

There truly is no free boondocking in coastal Southern California. We stay at the state park campgrounds in Southern California frequently. Boondocking is strongly discouraged in the beach cities. I’ve seen a number of people with annual day use passes spending the day in the beach day use areas. They disappear when the day use area closes and reappear in the morning. No idea where they hide out during the day, perhaps industrial areas. If you’re looking for dry camping, at a cost, San Clemente and Crystal Cove State Parks have non-hookup sites but it’s ridiculously expensive and I suspect you’re looking for free.
Thanks for info, I'm trying to rent a driveway seems the easiest & cost effective

California is a big problem because there are so many homeless people living in decrepit RVs on the street or in big box parking lots. There are also a lot of young people who try to get out of paying high costs of apartments by living in vans. This upsets homeowners who end up with trashy vehicles permanently parked in front of their homes. It also upsets businesses because customers do not like having to park and enter their stores when they have to walk past so many junky vehicles. Hence, they have passed a lot of ordinances preventing boondocking.

State parks are also pretty expensive and often trashy for the amount being charged, so try looking at regional/county parks in California, especially ones that are a little more inland than on the coast.

California is a big problem because there are so many homeless people living in decrepit RVs on the street or in big box parking lots. There are also a lot of young people who try to get out of paying high costs of apartments by living in vans. This upsets homeowners who end up with trashy vehicles permanently parked in front of their homes. It also upsets businesses because customers do not like having to park and enter their stores when they have to walk past so many junky vehicles. Hence, they have passed a lot of ordinances preventing boondocking.

State parks are also pretty expensive and often trashy for the amount being charged, so try looking at regional/county parks in California, especially ones that are a little more inland than on the coast.
Yes totally agree. Thanks for the info.

You may not even be able to rent a driveway because many California cities have ordinances against storing or parking RVs on their property long term.
It's a 2 to 3 month stay, working on a project in that area. And yes it's not easy to find even a driveway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RVMan78
Back
Top Bottom