Camping World / Forest River Review (Spoiler Alert- Its bad)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is the reason I bought mine at a privately owned RV dealer.
No high pressure sales or financing bull. Sales person knew almost everything about the trailer and how things operated, and what the didn't know he called the service manager in on.
When I went to pick it up, the service manager did the walk through. Very thorough and answered all my questions.
Bought mine at RV value mart in Manheim Pa. At the time the financing they offered was very reasonable as well. Couldn't be more pleased with the experience in dealing with them... :giggle:

Camping World is now a training ground for new salespeople as good sales people cannot make money there. They instituted a new commission policy that states that in order to get commission a salesperson must sell at least 20% of that month's sales. Sounds wonderful until you discover they try to have at least 15 salespeople on staff. Makes it impossible to get to that 20% mark. Plus the fact that salespeople have been instructed to charge a $400 fee that is disguised as a variety of things but is just there to add $400 to the price. Reputable salespeople walk away from tricks like this so only the sleazy are left.
Sounds like something from Glen Garry-Glen Ross.

And it is NOT the salesman's' responsibility to make sure you have the right vehicle to tow it with, that is on you.
I disagree with this logic. There is a core principal in law enforcement that says failing to disclose a known fact is in itself, a lie. So when the OP went to pick up the RV and the salesman stated that he could not tow it with his current tow vehicle, that is proof that the salesman and thus the dealer KNEW that fact and failed to disclose it. That is willful intent to deceive the purchaser no matter how you dress it up.

I have purchased 4 new towables in my 25+ year RVing history, and every time at some point someone from the dealership had asked me what I was planning on towing with. Was that info required to be asked? No, but what it is are called "ethics". Unfortunately, Camping World has been accused of a lack of ethics many times.

My very first RV purchase was a 26' TT I purchased at a RV show in CA. I had a 1/2 ton Ram gasser pickup at the time. The dealer specifically checked the weight limits on my truck and outfitted it with a hitch to safely tow the trailer.

There are dozens of examples that come to mind as I type this where withholding information is unethical, or down right dangerous. But what that also says to me that the lack of PDI by the dealer after charging the OP $1000 to be "camping ready" is also unethical and thus a lie. Buyers willing to except that conduct as "SOP" just fosters and condones the conduct by the dealers like Camping World, and guarantees that the practices will continue.

Well, we all know the OPs experience is probably about 99.9% of what the RV industry is made of. Somehow, we all have gotten through the beginning experience too being here today offering opinions, insight, solutions, and maybe just an ear for newbies to vent to.

I don't know what led me to my first RV forum 16 years ago when my wife and I first started talking about getting into the world of RV'ing. But, I am thankful we did with the information we gathered from brands, pricing, things to look for, and so forth. It's a shame that more people who start out don't do the same and seek out the world of information found on forums on Rv'ing, and most other products available to today's consumer.

Back
Top Bottom