converter use while using solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stephanj1958

Just a few simple solar questions. I have all Renogy components.

1) should I unplug my inhouse converter while using the solar system?
2) is it common for a MC4 three-way parallel solar panel connector to malfunction?

MC4 Connectors should not fail at least not often. But a bad crimp between the pin and the wire can happen to ANY crimped connector. (Which means dang near every connector made).
As for converter and Solar use combined.... The two controllers should work it out between them but my advice is to monitor battery voltage and if possible current on the two systems (That last is not always easy) and if you see voltages goign too high (Say 15+). Then turn off one system.

Stephan,
If your converter and the change controllers of your solar system are worth much at all, you should be able to completely ignore the system and nothing will suffer for it. That is the way it should be, but I suggest that you monitor the state of charge of the house bank for a while just to be sure.
Matt_C

MC4 Connectors should not fail at least not often. But a bad crimp between the pin and the wire can happen to ANY crimped connector. (Which means dang near every connector made).
As for converter and Solar use combined.... The two controllers should work it out between them but my advice is to monitor battery voltage and if possible current on the two systems (That last is not always easy) and if you see voltages goign too high (Say 15+). Then turn off one system.
John
so I upgraded my solar system from one 100 watt solar panel to two 100 watt solar panels with the thought that I would add another one in the near future, so I used a three way parallel connector instead of a two way parallel connector. this worked for approximately 2 weeks while being parked. Then I went for a 100 mile drive to go camping and the controller was indicating that the solar panel was not sending a charge. I got up on the roof and trouble shoot the connector and finally narrowed it down that the three way was not working by hooking only one panel up without the three way (now I'm only using one panel) I think I should get the two way parallel connectors till I make the second upgrade.
As for the convertor plus solar system the voltage charge was steady at 13.9 volts. Wondering minds was thinking maybe the dual systems had something to do with the problem?
Thanks for your advice I'll look a little deeper into the crimped connection, but each panel works hooked up one at a time without the three way?

No problemo, IF both systems are setup correctly for your type of battery. The battery will reach the highest voltage from the charge controller or converter. Float voltage is 13.4v for FLA.
The solar and converter don't add up voltage. IE not 26.8v
As far as the MC-4 s**t happens. Now if you buy a same brand replacement and it fails that something else.

Last edited:
Stephan,
If your converter and the change controllers of your solar system are worth much at all, you should be able to completely ignore the system and nothing will suffer for it. That is the way it should be, but I suggest that you monitor the state of charge of the house bank for a while just to be sure.
Matt_C

Last edited:
Stephan,
Matt_C
as I stated in my post I have all Renogy components. my controller is a 20 Amp MPPT charge controller I'm thinking that should handle the two 100 watt panels and three in the future!
The voltage with both systems (both panels 200 watts) working was a steady 13.9 volts, and the amps was 4.79 amps. My controller is out in the open and I can see what going on at all times. With the failure of the connector I was thinking maybe the dual systems had something to do with it!

John

Thanks for your advice I'll look a little deeper into the crimped connection, but each panel works hooked up one at a time without the three way?

Generally the terminals in the connectors are crimp on. This type of connection is very reliable if it's done properly.. I have a special tool (I think 45 dollars) to do it for one type of connector I use a lot of (Anderson power poles) but the same basic tool is used on most all crimp ons (Sometiems a larger version) I"ve seen some factory crimps that were not all that good.. So it's possible it failed. also the fact it's a multi splitter gives it yet another failure chance for failure.

Quality control used to be a division at the factory.. Now it's "Warranty Replacement" for so many businesses.

Back
Top Bottom