Do I get an award or something???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine was 9/18/1942. I might still be on the road fulltime buy my wife's health went south on us. I still miss the life after 12 years off of the road.
You don't realise it when you are younger, but your Health is the most valuable asset you have. Sorry you guys had to give it up.

Judy you have already received your reward...You're still alive and in pretty good shape. You can't ask for anything more than that.

The old saying...You have to keep going to keep going." has proven true for you. I'm hoping to see you on here for your 300,000 mile marker.

Judy that is a great testimonial to Ford F53 chassis reliability. You might give Ford customer service a call, who knows they might make a real good offer for your endorsement.
Actually, it is an E-450 Super Duty Chassis. When I first got this rig, I headed west along I-80 through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, and Wyoming, before landing at Rocky Mountain NP for a week. Most of that drive was uphill and the temps were hanging around 105 degrees. There were cars and even trucks pulled over because they were overheating, and the temperature gauge on my rig was stuck exactly in the middle. I was positive it was broken because it just never budged once the vehicle got moving.

I wish I had kept the names and phone numbers of the Six-Sigma Team I had worked with because I would have liked to call them, but that was 13 years ago, and I doubt if any of them would still be in those positions. These were the corporate Ford people who received any parts that had failed on Ford vehicles under warranty. Their job was to find out why. Their offices were on the edges of a big room filled with large cardboard boxes. One would have brake shoes, another brake cylinders, one had side mirrors, etc. They were the super-sleuths of manufacturing, which I thought was an interesting job. They provided me with content information on Ford quality processes for a course intended for hourly team leaders.

The old saying...You have to keep going to keep going." has proven true for you. I'm hoping to see you on here for your 300,000 mile marker.
I learned from an aunt and uncle of mine who retired from Ford on the 30 and out retirement plan for factory workers. They were 54 when they retired, and they spent the next 15 years doing little but sitting on their balcony overlooking the Gulf of Mexico, smoking and drinking. My uncle died in mid-60s, and aunt made it to 80, but her legs were bad and doctors would not do surgery because of her smoking.

I worked two jobs until I was 69 and continued my part-time college teaching online until just before my 78th birthday. I strongly believe that you have to keep moving as long as you can.

And obviously, I have been lucky in terms of my health, but never smoked and do little drinking because of my younger brother who was a lifelong alcoholic. I wish, however, that I had taken up hiking and more physical things when I was younger, but it seemed as if I was always working or had other responsibilities.

Last edited:
Hi Judy JB,

That is about an average of 46 miles per day!

We've had our RV for 8 years now and have put 43,000 miles on in that time. Wondering if you have had a tune-up during that time?

Many more miles and safe travels!
Admittedly, the reason I ended up with so many miles is that I have never towed a car, so when I go out sightseeing or for shopping, I take my motorhome. I can go 3-4 days without dumping tanks, so I tend to run my errands on those "dump" days.

Plus, i have had the travel bug since I was a small child, so I am still in travel mode instead of "settling down mode." I also have two sons who have settled with their families on opposite sides of the country--one in Ohio and one in Napa, CA, so I continue to bounce back and forth between them. Also, in the last 12 years, I have taken two trips to the UK--one 6 weeks and one 5 weeks. I am planning on another trip next year, and am thinking about going to a couple of other international places, if I can manage it financially and physically.

Another Octogenarian here. Be 81 in June. Started RVing in 2008 after purchasing our first travel trailer. Don't know how many miles we've put on the clock since, but likely more than 100,000. Longest outing was about 4 months. Usually we're on the road for 2 or 3 months.

Since the thread has morphed somewhat into health, I'll just add, one of my secrets to reasonably good health in my 80s is to do as much around the house as possible. I look at it as a form of exercise. That and a minimum of stretching and walking has worked so far. Our diet has probably helped a bit as well. Very little red meat and a love veggies and salads.

At almost 81, one of the biggest questions I have is whether or not we're going to buy another motorhome. If we do, it will hopefully be something my wife can drive. She's only 59 but doesn't like driving our 36' motorhome. However, at her young age I don't think she sees herself sitting on the porch with me for the next 10 years watching the squirrels and birds. ;)

your Health is the most valuable asset you have.
Health is very important to me, but time is even more valuable. Time is the only thing that you have which, once gone can never be recovered or replaced.
the temperature gauge on my rig was stuck exactly in the middle.
The Ford truck and chassis units have a gage that is not a direct temperature display but they use a signal that modifies the output to keep it centered as long as the temperature is within what Ford engineers consider to be the normal operating range. That is the reason that once the engine is warm it is rare to see any change in needle position at all.

Health is very important to me, but time is even more valuable. Time is the only thing that you have which, once gone can never be recovered or replaced.

The Ford truck and chassis units have a gage that is not a direct temperature display but they use a signal that modifies the output to keep it centered as long as the temperature is within what Ford engineers consider to be the normal operating range. That is the reason that once the engine is warm it is rare to see any change in needle position at all.
Very good point about time. I keep telling myself that while I may live another 15 years, if I am really lucky, I probably have only 5 or 6 travel years available to me. When I go to the UK, I go by myself, so I pack very lightly, plus I rent a car to drive through the country, so I need my vision and at least a few smarts and decent physical condition. (I did ask Enterprise when I rented from them in 2022 if they had a maximum rental age. Answer was as long as you had a valid driver's license, they would rent to you--no age limit, so that is good.)

Last edited:
Another Octogenarian here. Be 81 in June.

At almost 81, one of the biggest questions I have is whether or not we're going to buy another motorhome. If we do, it will hopefully be something my wife can drive. She's only 59 but doesn't like driving our 36' motorhome. However, at her young age I don't think she sees herself sitting on the porch with me for the next 10 years watching the squirrels and birds. ;)
I also am going to be 81 in June, so Happy Birthday to us both!

And I think your idea to buy something your wife is able to drive is an excellent idea. Not only can she drive it if you lose your vision or have a physical problem, either temporary or permanent, but after you are gone, she will still be able to drive. Even now, what if you sprained an ankle, or broke a toe, or had to have shoulder surgery??? Having a second driver who is comfortable with your rig is important as you get older.

I am sorry I did not buy a small A, but I am barely 5'1" tall on a good day, and I had trouble reaching the pedals and some things on the dash with the ones I tried driving. Plus, when I could sort of reach the pedals, the steering wheel was jammed into my stomach. What I should have done is had short pedal extenders installed and looked for other ways to adapt the dash to my height. Maybe moved steering wheel in?? (FYI, Ford has an office that helps handicap people with adaptations of their vehicles.)

At almost 81, one of the biggest questions I have is whether or not we're going to buy another motorhome. If we do, it will hopefully be something my wife can drive. She's only 59
I am just a little older than you as I'll be 82 in September. I have a son who is older than your wife as he will be 61 in October. :p
Answer was as long as you had a valid driver's license, they would rent to you--no age limit, so that is good.)
Some states do get more difficult to keep your license as you age. In TX, once you reach 85 you must take the written and vision tests every two years.

I've had people ask, "At 6' 2" and 190#, how do you stay in such good condition at 60+ years old?" I just tell them. "I don't have a choice. My blown out back, blown out knees, cervical spinal injury, and other various bodily atrocities that have happened to me over the years keep me from doing anything dangerous anymore. That and actively fishing and hunting help keep me in my svelte condition." Or something like that. :rolleyes:

I've had people ask, "At 6' 2" and 190#, how do you stay in such good condition at 60+ years old?" I just tell them. "I don't have a choice. My blown out back, blown out knees, cervical spinal injury, and other various bodily atrocities that have happened to me over the years keep me from doing anything dangerous anymore. That and actively fishing and hunting help keep me in my svelte condition." Or something like that. :rolleyes:
When people ask me, I tell them "Cheap booze and fast women".

If you average all my body parts I am only 20.

We certainly have proven that you are never too old. Is this the forum where a few years ago, some guy wrote in saying his 72 year old mother wanted to buy a motorhome and travel by herself? He wanted to know if he should let her! I had to delete my first posting to respond to that!!!

I also think having friends is important, even if a lot of them are online or in campgrounds where you are staying only briefly. I make a point of being friendly and social and introducing myself to neighbors. (My sons say I am a pain in the neck.) But one reason I do it is for security reasons. If someone knows you, even a little bit, they might notice if someone is breaking in or you are sick or fallen or whatever.

And most researchers will tell you that being isolated is a big cause of depression and early death for elderly people. Recently, I had a maybe 50-year-old man who was outside a store on a bench start to ask me questions about if I was lonely traveling alone. I told him I was divorced with grown kids, so I could be alone at home sitting in my condo watching TV or on the road seeing new things and meeting interesting people.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom