Does anyone know what this is? It appears to involve woodworking. Thanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
when working at Ethan Allen shore looks like tools the shape of wood molding center unit is fixture tool the rest shape molding like crown

I had this molding or shaper set with the Craftsman name on it. They sold it for their Radial Arm saw in the early '70s.
It's a wonder I still have all of my fingers. It wasn't the safest tool in the shop.

Thanks, Rene. As with you, it was my dad's. How would the blades be used? Have anything to do with a router?
A shaper could be viewed as an oversized router built as a stand alone machine. The desired cutter is attached to the round cutter head. The shaper is something like a table saw the cutter head spinning horizontally (lile you favorite old-school vinyl album) instead of vertically like the table saw. Instead of holding the motor with the blade attached around the piece of wood, the piece of wood is passed across the cutter head

Thanks, Rene. As with you, it was my dad's. How would the blades be used? Have anything to do with a router?
Use it on a table saw. Insert the blade in the center wheel and tighten the set screws to hold it in place. You don’t want to have it fly out while it’s spinning.

Wandering,
Having run mine about a month ago, (I was making a replacement piece for my 73 GMC) I can tell you that it is a molding cutter. It will either put fancy edges on a single board or manufacture molding strips. It is at home in either a table saw (with a cut out table plate - what I use most) or in my (also Dewalt antique radial arm saw. While the radial has the advantage of control of the working piece, feeding the stock to it is inherently dangerous.
Mine is a three cutter version and so has a smoother cut and less vibration, but it is just a dangerous.
I hope it serves you well.
Matt

Back
Top Bottom