eggplant - yum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We recently had a bunch of people over to the house for a couple of get-togethers; Chris decided to feed and lubricate everyone. I was fancying eggplant and, instead of a casserole (our cooktop just went out), Chris sliced the eggplant, added breadcrumbs, and cooked them in the oven. They were a big hit at a couple of events.

I love eggplant and have never mastered the art of cooking it properly.  Do you remember George and Ann Foster from early forum days?  Ann would provide eggplant snacks for happy hours that were absolutely wonderful.  We " yet untrained gourmets" would love some instructions and recipes if anyone is willing to share.

Slice, 1/2" thick slices liberally apply SALT to both sides let sit on a plate or cookie sheet for an hour or so, check to see if water has come out,  if so rinse off salt and squeeze each slice under running water, then squeeze excess water off.  lay on paper towels and dry as much as you can dip in egg wash and bread with favorite coatings mix.  Fry and serve when they look GB&D.

Ann Foster came from a huge, loving Italian family.  I think that's why her eggplant hor d'oeuvres always tasted like perfection.  It's either a gift or simply genetic talent.  ;D 

Chris added parmesan cheese, then 'basted' with water before adding the breadcrumbs.

FWIW thefirst time I tasted eggplant was on a visit to CA in the 70's. My host served eggplant in a casserole, and I haven't enjoyed it so much since.

First time I tasted egg plant was in the Chow Hall on the USMC Recruit Depot, San Diego in 1965 and we had no choice as to whether or not we were going to eat it. 

"Yes Sir..."

"Aye, Aye Sir!" 8)

Fried Eggplant.....
Peel the eggplant then slide into 1/4" thick slices.

2 or 3 eggs whisked in a bowl for doing the eggplant.

A sleeve of saltine crackers rolled into fine crumbs and placed in a bowl.  Add a generous amount of Italian seasoning and a pinch or two of garlic powder....if you like garlic, and mix thoroughly.

12" or so skillet with heated cooking oil in it...I use plain old veg. oil.

Dip the eggplant slices in the whisked eggs to coat thoroughly.
Immediately roll the slice into the cracker crumbs and coat.
Place in skillet and start frying, watching closely not to burn.  When that side is golden brown, turn over and fry the other side.  When done, place on plate or cookie sheet with paper towel on it to help soak up a bit of the oil.

I will coat one slice of eggplant (egg and cracker mixture), then drop in the skillet, then do another, then another until the skillet is full.  By then, the first piece is ready to turn over, then one by one, the others.  When finished, salt to taste and enjoy.  I also use this same method to prepare eggplant for my eggplant parmesan recipe.

Back
Top Bottom