First use of 13 year old Splendide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garyb1st

The Splendide soap that comes with the unit was not opened, so I'm thinking we're the first to use it.  After trying unsuccessfully to remove it, and finally using it as a very heavy storage area for dirty close, we said let's give it a try.  So today, we did and are happy to say it works.  We're on load number 4 and so far it has performed flawlessly. 

My concern before doing the first load was the potential for leakage.  It's 13 year old and those rubber hoses and various connections may have dried out. 
I'm still a bit concerned and I'm not sure what we'll do if we discover a leak.  The unit is not easily removable and it backs up to the exterior wall.  If anything fails it may be necessary to access/replace hoses, etc. from beneath the unit.  Not even sure that's possible.  So if anyone has a unit that is inaccessible from the rear and has had to make repairs please explain how it is done. 

My unit is also completely inaccessible from the rear, as I?m guessing most are. The front legs are attached with the clips you see in the attached picture. I?ve never had mine out but my guess is to remove the unit one removes the screws on the clips, and the rear of the unit is released from some sort of rear clips by sliding the unit forward.

Attachments

• 3DE35953-54E5-452A-AEF0-BE3E469B72A9.jpeg
    3DE35953-54E5-452A-AEF0-BE3E469B72A9.jpeg
    67 KB · Views: 70
Wow I'm surprised the seals, etc hadn't dried out.

Had a dishwasher that wasn't used for two years in a rental house and it leaked like a sieve when we used it. So I pulled it out and replaced all the seals.

Next time I'm buying a new dishwasher!

Glad to hear that all is well. It didn?t look like it would be much fun to remove.

Theresa really likes ours. We?ve even used it once while at KOFA.

Tom

I don't think I've ever seen one that was accessible from the rear - they always have to be slid out of their cubby hole, often removing trim or doors to do that. I've pulled ours out multiple times, and even replaced one.

I bought my coach used 2 years ago, and with it came a Splindide. Wife was thrilled, me? - another something to maintain/fix/dispose, your choice.
Never tried to use the combo for the 1st year of ownership, and when I got around to testing it out, well disappointment set in. The drum wouldn't turn, but it did fill with water and made noises like it was working. We moved into the fix category real quick. I did my research, did some diagnostics and figured out the it must likely one of 2 problems. First - could be the drive belt, it checked out good. Second - could be a circuit board, huh oh!
I wrestled with that monster for a day before I got the clips to release the washer. But that wasn't the real problem. The problem is that the unit weighs (I think) close to 200lbs, with no substantial way of maneuvering it within the confines of the head. Granted I was too lazy to remove the stool to make room, but regardless the weight is nothing to sneeze at. I had a friend to help and we both came very close to injury trying to manhandle it, there was minor damage to surrounding woodwork. Once we got the washer out of the coach it went into a wheelbarrow and was deposited on the curb for pickup.

It's neat that yours works very good, and sorry for the rant. And as a footnote I still don't know how the clips worked, or how I got them to release the Splendide. The only thing I DO know is that those units are damn heavy.

Corky

LOL, Corky. They weigh about the same as any washer, between 150 and 200 lbs. Most Splendide models are at the 200 lb end of the range, probably because its a combo rather than a vanilla washer.

Were you aware that the drum doesn't actually turn 360 degrees in the wash cycle? It just rocks to agitate, much like a top loader does. Most people who have issues with a Splendide are simply not coping with the fact that it is a front loader and a combo. That has both pros and cons, of course, but it is decidedly different than the washer & dryer at home.

Thanks Gary I didn't know how the drum was supposed to work, to be truthful.
My Irish got the better of me on that day for sure. I do know for sure that the drum only moved when I influenced it with a bit of verbal, and physical abuse.
I really don't regret removing the Splendide, just ashamed that I almost hurt a friend that was helping. And at using around 12 to 15 gallons of water I couldn't see us using the unit that much.

Corky

My coach had the Splendide missing when I bought it. My wife wanted one so, well you know. I soon found myself installing a new one.

I didn't realize how fortunate I was to have a large panel in the back of my living area that removes to give access to the back of the unit. The W/D lives in the bathroom and the access is in the kitchen area.

She loves having the W/D.

Tom

I've seen Tom's (Heli_av8tor) unit and it looks to be very accessible.  There have been a few suggestions on this thread that I'll try.  My main goal here is to be in a position to remove the unit if necessary.  For example if it starts to leak and turning off the water does not stop the leak.  That's my main concern.  The old hoses and connections are also a concern and if it looks like I'll be able to move it out, I'll purchase some spares.  Good to know about the metric size issue and the fact that the Splendide hoses are not the only options. 

Thanks for the various replys. 

If possible, I'll post pictures of the unit before and after removing the doors and boards that keep it in place. 

Gary, the shelf above ours actually has a cutout that we lift up and remove  to access the rear from within the upper cabinet.  Definitely not easy but the cutout is almost the width of the cabinet so we're able to access it from above.  In fact, Monaco made many of our shelves removable by lifting up and out to access wiring and such.  Our interior shelves are all covered with carpet so we didn't even realize they were removable until we saw some of the techs doing it.

ArdraF 

Mine has been removed once by me as I found it was NOT plugged in at the back of the unit,,still working great and leak free for 20 years.>>>Dan

That's good to know Dan.  For now, we're leaving it in and, using it. 

Ardra, Ours has a Corian counter top that I'm pretty sure goes all the way to the wall.  Not sure how it's attached, but I'm going to find out.  If it can be removed, that's likely how repairs are made.

Thanks for the responses.

Gary

garyb1st said:
That's good to know Dan.  For now, we're leaving it in and, using it. 

Ardra, Ours has a Corian counter top that I'm pretty sure goes all the way to the wall.  Not sure how it's attached, but I'm going to find out.  If it can be removed, that's likely how repairs are made.

Thanks for the responses.

Gary

Gary, it's being 13 years old, I would be concerned a little about the hoses. I seem to remember that they recommend every 5 years to replace the hoses at least at my sticks and bricks. How about building a shelf type of system that you can slide the washer onto enough to get to the hoses. I'll do some research on what they recommend for years to replace.

Update: Jut did a little research and found this site. They mention that insurance companies recommend every 3 to 5 years but I think that's a little drastic. I would probably be concerned after 7/8 years.

https://www.thespruce.com/washing-machine-hoses-care-installation-2147310?utm_term=replacing+washing+machine&utm_content=p1-main-3-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=google_s&utm_campaign=adid-3b751332-b231-4b4a-b308-3fe0b9ee14f4-0-ab_gsb_ocode-4593&ad=semD&an=google_s&am=broad&q=replacing+washing+machine&o=4593&qsrc=999&l=sem&askid=3b751332-b231-4b4a-b308-3fe0b9ee14f4-0-ab_gsb 

Rene, I am concerned about the hoses.  More than that, I'm concerned about how to shut the water off if one breaks.  Still haven't figured out how to access the back the unit.  Will be looking more carefully when I get it back from the shop.  News at eleven.  ;)

garyb1st said:
Rene, I am concerned about the hoses.  More than that, I'm concerned about how to shut the water off if one breaks.  Still haven't figured out how to access the back the unit.  Will be looking more carefully when I get it back from the shop.  News at eleven.  ;)

I guess I'm  fortunate because my valves are right near the top of the washer on the right side.

Managed to access the Splendide from the top.  Like Ardra's Monaco, a thin piece of plywood beneath the carpet encloses the top of the unit.  Fleetwood managed to lay the plywood in place and then add the sidewalls which extend over the sides of the plywood.  Nice job if you never need to access the top or back of the unit.  I broke out the plywood, replaced with a smaller piece and laid it on top of the cross members.  With the top of the unit exposed, I can see the hoses clearly.  They can probably be replaced without having to move the unit. 

garyb1st said:
Nice job if you never need to access the top or back of the unit.

I have found so much of that. In most cases it would be so easy for the manufacturers to create access panels instead of simply walling off components that may need service at some point

Back
Top Bottom