Help me cook! :) Share those meals ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BikerFlex&HappyJen

I see the library of recipes. Our travel trailer does not have an oven. So for creative purposes, I?m in search of quick easy meals ideas to shake things up a bit! I have access to a two burner stovetop and the outside fire pit. I may or may not take a crockpot with me. We like ?less is more? and quickly realized our convection over way too bulky and intrusive to travel with, so last trip it stayed home.

So, if you have an amazing meal you can share that is easy clean up, easy prep, please do share!

I do enjoy cookin over the fire pit (weather permitting).

I highly recommend a campfire Dutch Oven and/or an Instant Pot. The DO will let you cook with charcoal any recipe you use an oven for at home. Casseroles, bread, stews - all are good. I also use my Instant Pot a lot for ribs, curries, stews, pulled pork, etc are all great. It is more a matter of learning a new cooking method than needing new recipes.

For 2 people, look at a 8? DO. It will work like a 2qt casserole dish or an 8? round baking pan. A 12? is more standard and is equivalent to a 8 qt pan. We prefer the aluminum versions from GSI for anything bigger than the 8? since they get so heavy. For an IP go with the standard 6 qt version. You can cook less with it, but the smaller one is just too small.

I definitely agree on the Dutch Oven. I have 3.

You can bake, stew, fry, boil, just about anything.

For breakfast I like just boiling some water and using zippered sandwich bags to make omelets. The basic size bag will hold enough for a 3 egg omelet.

I've put a whole chicken and some veggies in the pot and let it cook low and slow for most of the day. Mmmm. Tasty, tender, and filling.

With a stew recipe, a good addition is a layer of biscuits on top.

For desert I like the no mix cobblers. Or a cake.

I've even baked round loaves of bread.

There are some large "Rotisserie" ovens out there. These are sort of Toaster ovens but bigger and better. All electric.. That and I also have a "Smart-Pot" type multi-cooker (Does everythign from Slow cook (poorly) to Pressure cook (Very well) also rice steamer and more).

And a slow cooker which is just a slow cooker. Does great BBQ which is slow cooking.

And yes a lovely LODGE dutch oven.

This is very good

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/collections/traditional-winter-warmers/pork-stroganoff-with-three-mustards

I also have an instant pot and love it. I havent even used my slow cooker since I got the instant pot. You can cook anything in it Ive done boiled eggs, mac and cheese, meat loaf, melt in your mouth roasts that Ive even shredded for taco meat, pulled pork sandwitch filling, and even pork shops, potatoes and gravy. Not to mention all kinds of soups and stews and chili.

cadee2c said:
I also have an instant pot and love it. I havent even used my slow cooker since I got the instant pot. You can cook anything in it Ive done boiled eggs, mac and cheese, meat loaf, melt in your mouth roasts that Ive even shredded for taco meat, pulled pork sandwitch filling, and even pork shops, potatoes and gravy. Not to mention all kinds of soups and stews and chili.

Are they easy to clean as well? I have heard great reviews about them and I may look for one during Black Friday and Christmas sales.

Space/storage is esssential for us. We tried the convection oven and hubby declared it too big and bulky to haul around. We have no room on our counter for appliances. Anything we use will have to be outside on our outdoor table.

Please keep the meal ideas coming. Appreciate any feedback and recipes. Thanks so far for what you?ve advised. I?m gleaning info

BikerFlex&HappyJen said:
Are they easy to clean as well? I have heard great reviews about them and I may look for one during Black Friday and Christmas sales.
The IP is super easy to clean. The silicone seal needs to be removed for cleaning each time, and it will pick up smells. When you buy the IP, buy one or two extra seals. I have one I use for anything savory (meats, soups, etc) and one I use for sweets and yogurt. That?s the only thing even halfway complicated. The interior pot is stainless steel and dishwasher safe. The top and outside just get wiped down as needed.

I often made fajitas for my DH. It was his favorite food. Peppers, onions and chicken sauteed with garlic, chili powder and cumin. If youre a weekend camper,  you can prep it all before you leave the house and just dump the chicken into the pan, cook it, then dump in the peppers. It takes maybe 15 minutes total to cook it all up. You can do this on a campstove, stovetop, or even a campfire.

I also have a microwavable steamer....  https://smile.amazon.com/Solutions-Progressive-Microwavable-Vegetable-Dishwasher/dp/B00FOI42RK/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1535684493&sr=8-7&keywords=microwave+steamer+food
I put salmon in it, spray with olive oil, sprinkle with basil and cook it for about 5 minutes. I usually put in frozen mac and cheese and a bowl of veggies in there too. The mac and cheese and veggies I cook separately because they take longer to cook.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom