Just bought a used pop up -- looking for ideas for awning & mosquito netting by door

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supertireddad

Hello! We just bought a used pop up for our family of 6. It's 17 years old but still in very good shape. We're ready to camp out this coming weekend. We did a test run in the backyard and were mostly happy. One thing we're missing is shade at the door and a way to prevent bugs from flying in as soon as the door is opened.

I considered using a 10x10 pop up canopy i already have and putting netting on the sides but that isn't tall enough and the door hits the frame of it. I looked around online and keep seeing similar mosquito/shade tents but nothing that could go up against a pop up camper. Searches also keep pointing me to $500+ powered awnings for RV's that don't seem applicable to my little popup.

The camper does have an 11 foot awning track above the door which seems like I should be able to leverage. Has anyone with a pop up solved this problem already? If so, what did you do?

Solution to part (b) of your problem - camp where there aren't bugs. :)

You can source replacement awnings for your popup. Google [dometic bag awning] and [dometic screen room]. Careful what you ask for, that setup well set you back a bit. I considered getting one for my popup when I had it but instead made up my own awning using a cheap tarp, using a piece of rope folded in along one edge to go into the awning rail. Some EMT for poles at the corners with guy ropes and it was good enough for us.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your popup trailer. Looks like you are enjoying it except for the insects. Good luck finding a solution.

My solution may not work for you, but it may point you in a direction that works.
The screen doors for our classic (read real old, but not quite antique) coach are either unavailable or seriously expensive depending on the day of the week. The side of our coach is best described as tumblehome. A marine term for a non-flat side.
I wanted one.
So, I bought a "magnetic" screen door. It is two flexible screens and magnets to close it. I got a bunch of Velcro and used double side trim tape to mount some to the door opening and stitched the other side to the screen. When we want it, we stick it on. When we don't, we roll it up and put it somewhere.
The dogs have both figured out how to go in and out though the screen door.
Matt_C

Thanks all. I created my account and forgot my password immediately. Finally back on here so I can reply. Yikes on the dometic screen awning room! It would take an awning plus screen room kit and I'd be up near $1000. I guess I need to look into the tarp method @Mark_K5LXP. Do you happen to have photos of the rope in the awning rail?

@Matt_C I've actually been looking at those magnetic screen doors at Menards. They're super cheap and I'll end up using one of those in whatever the final solution is. As of now if I can understand Mark's solution and replicate it I would have anchor points in the awning rail that I can attach a large tarp too. Then I'd hold the corners up with posts and tie downs. Maybe generic screen material for the walls with the magnetic door. Heh, maybe by the end of it I'll be up to $500 but in my head it sure seems like it would be less than $200.

Popup sold a few years ago, no photo of that. But the technique is no different than an upholstery edge roll. Place a rope near the edge of the tarp, fold the tarp over it and slide it into the channel. The only trick is finding the right diameter rope that in addition to the thickness of the tarp provides a proper fit inside the awning channel. This is exactly how a factory awning edge goes into the channel. See photo below, picture the black fabric being the tarp and the white core a piece of rope that fits in the channel. Any handy poles or sticks and some guys at the outer corners holds the other end up.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Edge.png

A comment about the rope. Last year I had my slide toppers replaced. Instead of rope, they used a plastic tubing similar to the vinyl tubing you can get in hardware stores. It went in much easier than rope would. It would just push in from the end of the railing.

Hello! We just bought a used pop up for our family of 6. It's 17 years old but still in very good shape. We're ready to camp out this coming weekend. We did a test run in the backyard and were mostly happy. One thing we're missing is shade at the door and a way to prevent bugs from flying in as soon as the door is opened.

I considered using a 10x10 pop up canopy i already have and putting netting on the sides but that isn't tall enough and the door hits the frame of it. I looked around online and keep seeing similar mosquito/shade tents but nothing that could go up against a pop up camper. Searches also keep pointing me to $500+ powered awnings for RV's that don't seem applicable to my little popup.

The camper does have an 11 foot awning track above the door which seems like I should be able to leverage. Has anyone with a pop up solved this problem already? If so, what did you do?
SuperTireDad, I have ,in good condition ,a screened in enclosure from a '72 jayco pop-up, its canvas. Designed to slide into the j-channel on the trailer. I paid $500 for it and barely used it, still in the original box. Make me an offer.If your interested, pm me, could figure out shipping. I live in SE Michigan north of Ann Arbor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom