Kitchen island movement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

How much movement if any should there be with the island cabinet? We have always had some movement but I can't remember if it was this much.
The base of the cabinet is solid but the cabinet will move about 3/4 to 1" when we push on it. Just the right side moves, in the second pic.
More pics when I get a chance to look at it further
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240406_154021.jpg
    20240406_154021.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240406_153940.jpg
    20240406_153940.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 11
I would say it sounds like things need snugged up. It's really hard to give answers without more specifics. If the base is solid, seems the cabinet is coming loose. How that is tightened depends on how it was assembled. Simple screwed together brackets, glue, a combination? I will say, basic liquid nail construction adhesive is pretty strong and inexpensive. Typical Gorilla glues and epoxy is as well.

Reactions: SMR
Remove a drawer and if you can see a cleat on the floor that the cabinet should be attached to you can put in a few more screws. Or, maybe just tighten up the ones that are there, perhaps by removing them, dropping a few toothpicks into the hole and then reinstalling the screws.

I took the drawer out and it looks like the cabinet is attached with staples. I ran 3 screws in where the staples are and it is much better, I will do the other side.
You can see where the wood is split.

Attachments

• IMG_20240408_103606629.jpg
    IMG_20240408_103606629.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240408_103623001.jpg
    IMG_20240408_103623001.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 9
I took the drawer out and it looks like the cabinet is attached with staples. I ran 3 screws in where the staples are and it is much better, I will do the other side.
You can see where the wood is split.
Good job! - Never be afraid to pull panels, drawers, shelves - Lord knows how some things are attached and sleuthing can reveal extra issues that you can repair along the way as you search for the original trouble.

Thanks, I like to see what I can find behind panels and the like. I got the other side done, had to wait on the eclipse.
Now on to the next item on the list. LOL it's good to be at the in-laws for a week.

Staples are the standard in a few industries now days where regular nails or screws would be the better fastener.. WHY> well staple guns work quickly and with less effort than a hammer and nail or a screw gun (yes there is such a thing as a screw gun)

Back
Top Bottom