"Need Help Locating Spark Plug and Air Filter for 1989 Winnebago Chieftain - No Start Issue"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Start at the beginning...

Is the rv new to you, have you ever seen this rv run ?
Yes the rv was running when i bought it , and when i replaced the battery it was running great! One night it got really cold and i ran an electric blanket in the 12v of the chassis battery and it completely killed it. But it still worked when i jump started the battery. Maybe the discharge may have damaged it

It varies from very easy to very difficult depending on the vehicle. How much of it is in the clear? And you will need to work under the vehicle.

But from underneath, you're looking for something that looks like this (it shows the solenoid attached to the starter):

If you're going to try remove it, be sure to disconnect the cables on the chassis battery.

-Don- Reno, NV
Thanks !

Hey guys im back this time with a bigger Update: oreilys tested it and ruled it out as a very bad battery. Cons: i gotta buy a new one and i just got it last month , pros: it isnt anything major and i dont have to go trying to replace my starter or pay someone to do it. But i just want to thank you guys for all the help and info and ill remember to apply it in case any of these things do actually happen in the future. You guys rock ! Ill be back after i get her running again with a new battery !

You said you have a VOM laying around somewhere. Use it and these charts to test your battery cables for high resistance, which can cause/exacerbate the problem you describe.
and: Battery Cable Charts

Last edited:
Just read through this.
When the OP said his dash lights dimed when he tried to start it I figured it was a bad battery. Hopefully they sell him a "starting" battery over a deep cycle one. Had a friend that they sold him a trolling/deep cycle for starting. It will work but not as good.
It would be helpful to know what make the chassis is and what motor what year.

The terminals on the battery are different sizes. Though you can put the cable on backwards, one will be tight and the other loose. Plus, he said all the lights work. Hooking up the battery backwards can cause a lot of damage to other components.
If it has the original starter, I would suspect that. Possible one of the brushes on the starter is stuck or they are just worn out.
Your comment made me go look at my truck and my wife's Jeep - both batteries have terminals of equal size on each side. What makes you think the terminals are different sizes? I haven't seen a battery with different sized terminals for quite a few years.

Your comment made me go look at my truck and my wife's Jeep - both batteries have terminals of equal size on each side. What makes you think the terminals are different sizes? I haven't seen a battery with different sized terminals for quite a few years.

My wife's 2013 Kia Sportage does have different sizes. It uses a 124r battery.

Your comment made me go look at my truck and my wife's Jeep
I have some advice for you:

Do NOT bet any steaks on this one until you get your micrometer out and measure them both.

They are close.

But:

On a Jeep you will find the positive side is 9/16-inch (14mm). The negative side is ½-inch, or 13mm.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have some advice for you:

Do NOT bet any steaks on this one until you get your micrometer out and measure them both.

They are close.

But:

On a Jeep you will find the positive side is 9/16-inch (14mm). The negative side is ½-inch, or 13mm.

-Don- Reno, NV
There's an SAE spec for this calling for a 1:9 taper, and a top post size of 17.5mm (positive) and 15.9mm (negative). That's a 1.6mm - 1/16th-inch difference, and a 1/16 inch difference is no difference at all. I remember when the negative was only about 2/3 the size of the positive, but they are so close to the same now as to be indistinguishable. And you can easily put the positive cable on the negative side without ever noticing the difference.

And you can easily put the positive cable on the negative side without ever noticing the difference.
In my 1999 Dodge Ram Truck, it will be loose if a positive cable connector is put on the negative side when fully tightened. The battery connector can easily be turned by hand, unlike the correct size which would require a wrench to loosen after it is tightened down.

-Don- Reno, NV

In my 1999 Dodge Ram Truck, it will be loose if a positive cable connector is put on the negative side when fully tightened. The battery connector can easily be turned by hand, unlike the correct size which would require a wrench to loosen after it is tightened down.

-Don- Reno, NV
I'm referring to your standard dummy who has no clue and would just wrench down the looser one, or spread open the tighter one to fit without giving a thought as to why they have to do that.

Back
Top Bottom