New Hummer EV coming 10/20

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Crazy power and acceleration for a vehicle that size. It?ll go head to head with the Cybertruck with that kind of performance.

Can you pre-order like the Cybertruck...and are you???  :)

SeilerBird said:
I am not ordering one, I have no use for a truck. My RVing days are over. :(

I hear ya. My wife has a cybertruck reservation. Not sure if we?ll actually see it through but just in case we decide to leave the Motorhome lifestyle and go to a trailer.

You could always get one as a grocery getter. Might be fun. :)

I was watching a YouTube video yesterday about electric pickups that are supposed to start showing up soon. The narrator said the much-talked-about Ford F-150 EV should have a range of anbout 200 miles, but it probably won't be available until late 2021, or 2022. However the real shocker was its estimated base price... $100,000.00.

They showed another E-pickup that I had never heard of. It kind of looked like a Tonka Toy. It had a range of 300 miles and its base price was $125,000.00.

Those are some pretty hefty prices for pickups!

Kev

Kevin Means said:
I was watching a YouTube video yesterday about electric pickups that are supposed to start showing up soon. The narrator said the much-talked-about Ford F-150 EV should have a range of anbout 200 miles, but it probably won't be available until late 2021, or 2022. However the real shocker was its estimated base price... $100,000.00.

They showed another E-pickup that I had never heard of. It kind of looked like a Tonka Toy. It had a range of 300 miles and its base price was $125,000.00.

Those are some pretty hefty prices for pickups!

Kev

Wow. I had no idea. That?s like twice as pricey as the Tesla Cybertruck...and about half the range. You can put an order in for a Tesla tri-motor Cybertruck with 500 miles for 69000 bucks. I think Ford and the other manufacturer you mentioned are going to have to change things up a bit if they are going to be competitive. Their cheapest model is only 39000 bucks. Half the range though.

But what about when you hook up a trailer.  What does that do to the range?  Does the extra weight affect the range of the batteries?  Can you even pull a 5th wheel?  What happens if you run out of juice?  Can you call your local AAA and have them deliver a quick charge?  Are we really ready for the electric vehicle?  I just don't see the infrastructure for it yet.  At least not where I am, and certainly not from an RVing aspect.  Maybe I'm wrong, or just not fully informed.

edjunior said:
But what about when you hook up a trailer.  What does that do to the range?  Does the extra weight affect the range of the batteries?  Can you even pull a 5th wheel?  What happens if you run out of juice?  Can you call your local AAA and have them deliver a quick charge?  Are we really ready for the electric vehicle?  I just don't see the infrastructure for it yet.  At least not where I am, and certainly not from an RVing aspect.  Maybe I'm wrong, or just not fully informed.

Well, my guess is you?ll see about a 40 to 50 percent range loss pulling a trailer. That?s seems to be the norm for half tons on the Ford F-150 forum so I would imagine it would be similar with electric.

I?m not sure why you would run out of juice anymore than a gas truck. Electric vehicles have gauges just like gas trucks. Poor planning is the only thing that could cause that. I drove gassers for 37 years and never ran out of gas. Been driving electric for 5 years and haven?t ran out of juice yet. Knock on wood. :).

Yes. Triple A type services are starting to carry modular lithium packs in case of somebody miscalculating. Not common yet apparently and not in my area.  They are setup for both Chademo and CCS.

Infrastructure is good in the areas we travel. Basically the west coast from BC to San Diego. Looking at the App maps of the continent it?s looking more comprehensive everyday. One would have to check the areas where they travel. Europe is already excellent. North America has some catching up to do.

If you run out of juice you simply start up your 5000watt gas powered generator and sit at the side of the highway for a couple hrs to juice up.

steveblonde said:
If you run out of juice you simply start up your 5000watt gas powered generator and sit at the side of the highway for a couple hrs to juice up.

Heh heh. Maybe. But I don?t know if anyone who has ever carried a generator in their EV.  If you can read a gauge you should be fine. :)

John and Angela said:
Heh heh. Maybe. But I don?t know if anyone who has ever carried a generator in their EV. 

Back in the '90's my buddy had a 5kW genset hammering away in the back of his home made EV just to see if it could extend his range enough to get where he was going somewhere downstate.  He proved the point but I imagine it wasn't that pleasant of a trip.

It could be argued that in some fleet applications an electric truck might offer some operational or economic advantage.  One has to think that these initial offerings favoring "badass" performance is more about disproving preconceptions and demonstrating technological leadership than proving practicality.  Over time one has to think more practical models would be offered but for now I guess it will be super spendy stoplight racers/grocery getters.  No one is going to take one of these and load it up full of busted up concrete and haul junk to the dump like I need a truck to do.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Mark_K5LXP said:
Back in the '90's my buddy had a 5kW genset hammering away in the back of his home made EV just to see if it could extend his range enough to get where he was going somewhere downstate.  He proved the point but I imagine it wasn't that pleasant of a trip.

It could be argued that in some fleet applications an electric truck might offer some operational or economic advantage.  One has to think that these initial offerings favoring "badass" performance is more about disproving preconceptions and demonstrating technological leadership than proving practicality.  Over time one has to think more practical models would be offered but for now I guess it will be super spendy stoplight racers/grocery getters.  No one is going to take one of these and load it up full of busted up concrete and haul junk to the dump like I need a truck to do.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I?m willing to bet you are right. If my wife gets her cybertruck, it will not be carrying concrete to the dump. :).  I think the local contractors will be on them though. Fuel at the shop at a fraction of the cost, virtually no maintenance, stainless steel so nothing to wax and dent resistant, 4 lockable too storage areas including the frunk, the box, sub box and side rail storage, built in 120 and 240 volt power, built on air compressor. We have talked to a few contractors who have the mid priced all wheel drive on order.  They?ll find a market.

Back
Top Bottom