Portable Generator install in 5th wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dieseldan723

I am considering the purchase of two Honda 2200i generators for our new 5th wheel. I like the portability of them and will purchase a companion unit to maximize the double output of these units. I would like to mount them in the front storage bay if possible. When we purchased the unit the sales person said this are could be used for an onboard generator. If this is true, I would assume that it's safe to run these generators while in the unit? Should I be concerned?

TIA

Dan

I would be very concerned about the exhaust. On a factory install, there would be a exhaust pipe exiting the compartment on the bottom of the RV an maybe even going toward the side. With the generators you want to use, you’ll be filling that compartment with carbon monoxide and all it would take us one little leak and you’d be making the headlines of the local newspaper. Don’t do it.

If you plan to run them in the bay with the door closed you will need to route the exhaust outside the compartment. Longer exhaust pipes will increase back pressure and may affect performance. These units have much smaller cooling fans and may not do the job in an enclosed area but it is worth a try. If as Rene said you fill the compartment with carbon monoxide the engine will overheat and quit.

Great point about the exhaust. I was thinking this compartment was completely sealed off from the rig. You are right, the larger onboard gensets are exhausted outside...not an easy thing to do with these smaller units.

Thanks for setting me straight on this idea!

Great point about the exhaust. I was thinking this compartment was completely sealed off from the rig. You are right, the larger onboard gensets are exhausted outside...not an easy thing to do with these smaller units.

Thanks for setting me straight on this idea!
Thank you for listening.

I learned a long time ago to listen twice as much as you speak, and the only dumb question (most of the time) is the one not asked.

Thanks for looking out for me and my family!

When a fiver is prepped for generator the front box is stripped and an insulated and vented box/door are inatalled. Not only exhause, but venting can kill a generator in a new york minute. Instead of wasting the front storage box how about making a mount and carrying them in the truck bed? Did that with my 3000W generator when we were boondocking. Worked just fine.

When a fiver is prepped for generator the front box is stripped and an insulated and vented box/door are inatalled. Not only exhause, but venting can kill a generator in a new york minute. Instead of wasting the front storage box how about making a mount and carrying them in the truck bed? Did that with my 3000W generator when we were boondocking. Worked just fine.
Great thought. This could work!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom