Replacing brake fluid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not all manufacturers have recommended brake fluid change intervals. The Europeans typically stick to 2 every 2 years, others are 5 years and some...no recommendation at all. I don't take that as meaning it doesn't need changed. One of the following usually ends up being true anyway:

You'll need a brake job before 10 years and a shop will probably recommend a flush anyway.
A dealer will catch you for a brake flush on an upsell during routine service.
You live in a salt/winter state and metal lines underneath the car will croak before the fluid does.

You'll need a brake job before 10 years and a shop will probably recommend a flush anyway.
Not in our EVs. Brakes should last the life of the car, but I guess the rarely used brakes will still require a brake fluid change as much as any other car.

IMO, the way the progressive regen works via the brake pedal in the Bolt, it shouldn't even have mechanical brakes at all.

Perhaps someday, cars won't waste such good energy with mechanical brakes.

-Don- Auburn, CA

IMO, the way the progressive regen works via the brake pedal in the Bolt, it shouldn't even have mechanical brakes at all.

Not quite. It's the service brakes that stop the car in the advertised 128 feet. Which is actually kind of ridiculous for such a small car. But that number can't be replicated with using regen alone in that car.

Here's a list of symptoms that can be associated with dirty (contaminated) brake fluid. The practical problem is that they all can result from other brake problems as well, so the symptom is vague. And I'll beg to differ about #1, the ABS light - it has nothing at all to do with brake fluid. #3, spongy brake feel, is the one most likely to result in a brake failure, i.e. total loss of braking. Don't ever ignore that.

Back
Top Bottom