rock tumbling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdq

as a hobby...
any one in to rock tumbling?

we full time and i am soon to buy a rock tumbler. interested in chatting to others to do this hobby.
cheers,
pdq

In my past life rock tumblers were one of the product lines our stores sold.
Unless you're a boondocker or run it inside the rig, the racket will drive your neighbors crazy. Be considerate.
Since the tumbler has to run for days, don't skimp on a cheap one. The Thumler's Tumbler brand made by TruSquare is pretty good at the low end, with metal frames, decent motors, and thick-walled rubber drums.
Never actually tumbled a rock myself. Skipped a lot of stones, though.  :)

This one takes me back to my youth.  In my early 20's I rock hounded along the Cambrian Shield then tumbled them.  Used to make wax moulds, melt the old silver quarters, and heat inject them into the moulds, to be used to hold/display the polished rocks.  I still have a couple tucked away in a drawer, never to be worn again.
    BTW, yes I know it is illegal to deface currency, so I used US quarters, in Canada, I'm sure you could have done the same in the reverse.  However, both countries stopped using silver for coins in the 60's.
    My friends and I always found it more enjoyable to find and polish our own rocks.

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kampinggal
Back
Top Bottom