Roof sealant and vehicle cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BTRDYS

New guy, transsitioning from 35 years of sail crusing on weekends, vacation in the Chesapeak and offshore between Norfolk, USVI, USBI, Bermuda and now looking to do some land crusing. I have a Flagstaff 25FKBS.

The trailer was built in November 2022 and we purchased it, used with limited use(maybe once), in march of 2023

I cover the trailer when not used and i'm finding the cover is sticking to the sealant on the roof. It appears to be the origin installation of sealant. Any suggestions or recomendations are greatly appreciated.

Unless you are on the salty coast. DON't Cover it.
If you are.. Then you need to put a spacer bettwen roof and sealant. Pool noodles. might work Else it will continue to stick.. You could "Flour" it (Ask the cook) Dust it with something like sand to that can stick to the sealant (or roofing granules. ceramic dots)

I appreciate your suggestion. They sound intriguing but no silver bullet. I was thought about aluminum foil or plastic wrap but more challenging to do it, especially on a day with some wind. Sort of like spring commissioning putting the sail on while in the slip and the wind coming from behind. My desire, obvious, was to protect the roof from sun trees that cover part of my storage parking location I select for ease of entry and exit. Sounds like I should cut my loses rather than spend $'s trying to figure out a solution. Many thanks for your quik response.

Correct the sealant along the outer edges of the roof. I thought it would have cured by now as well. It's not in all areas. Were it has gathered dirt and looks dirty (black/gray) it seems ok. I wonder if the wind is making it rub in different areas, mostly the front and rear. I wonder if the cover should be looser but not tight on the sealant.
Thanks for your quick response

Rv covers are often problematic, but sticking isn't a usual problem. Rv sealants are designed to be dry to the touch in a few hours and fully cured in 24-48 hours. Could someone have applied some other type a sealant somewhere? Or overcoated it with something, maybe in response to an ill-advised internet meme?

As some have already stated, covering an RV is often more trouble than it is worth. If you can wash the RV occasionally and wax it once a year, there is probably no need to cover.

I wonder if the cover should be looser but not tight on the sealant.
I have never used an RV cover so I can't say about that buy I do know that just as Gary says above, if the proper sealants have been used it should not be sticky now. I think that if it were mine, I would consider replacing all of the caulking with a good one so that I would know what it is.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom