Scablands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zulu

I'd like to visit the scablands this summer, but it's a huge area so need advice on where to go.

I've flown over it many times. Just bare rock and a few tiny settlements.

We drove highway 2 from Spokane to Beebee Bridge which has a great camping place and is close to Lake Chelan where we took a boat trip to Stehekin. If you do a day trip get fast boat out and slow one back so you get more time to explore.

We hadn't heard of the Scablands or we might have explored. The section we drove along was very flat with lots of what looked like hay growing.

The lava fields were pretty incredible.

Let us know how you get on if you go!

Photos from our drive.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1704924709117.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704924709117.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 2
  • FB_IMG_1704924897529.jpg
    FB_IMG_1704924897529.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2
I want to get there also. It is there because there was a Huge Glacial lake called Lake Missoula. At some time, the retaining structure failed and the whole lake (several hundred square miles) drained in a couple of days. This left a lot for erosion structures and some interesting things like the "Dry Falls" in Washington. I am told if you see it, it is clear that it was a larger water fall area.
Matt_C

Thanks. I lived in western WA state for 5 years and never heard them being called that.
LOL! I worked at a campground in Moses Lake for two summers and my impression was that many folks in western Washington had no idea there was more of their state east of the Cascades. Two very different geographies and cultures. But I agree - never encountered the Scablands term when we were there, even though we explored the area a couple times.

Back
Top Bottom