SF fire code for lith batteries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In 2012 we were in AK on a caravan tour. I had placed an aftermarket Li battery for my Sony Handicam in its charger before we went to bed. i was awakened by a gunshot, jumped up to investigate and saw smoke in the kitchen of our RV. I rushed to investigate and saw the battery lying on the tile floor, smoking. I made sure there was no flames anywhere, unplugged the charger, then picked up what used to be a battery, burned my hand.
I grabbed a hot-pad from a drawer, used it to pick up the battery, then threw both out the door to deal with next morning.
The smoke did not trigger the smoke detector on the ceiling, so I pushed the test button and it sounded. Next morning I looked at the date on the detector and it was the original from 2008, well within the safe operating range.
Lithium batteries present an entirely new and additional danger to firefighters. I have the utmost respect and admiration for the firefighting profession and those who serve their communities.

Halon is an excellent fire extinguisher, we had automaticlly-triggered ones in our huge computer room at At Ft. Harrison. The drawback to halon is, it eliminates all oxygen in the confined space, as a result OSHA ruled them out where humans were in the same room/space.
A company used to make automatic Halon systems for MH's, one was placed behind the absorption refrigerator, and a larger one in the engine compartment.

Halon is an excellent fire extinguisher, we had automaticlly-triggered ones in our huge computer room at At Ft. Harrison. The drawback to halon is, it eliminates all oxygen in the confined space, as a result OSHA ruled them out where humans were in the same room/space.
A company used to make automatic Halon systems for MH's, one was placed behind the absorption refrigerator, and a larger one in the engine compartment.
Same here. Early in a previous career (actually first job out of college) I worked in a secure comms facility 2 stories underground for a well know defense contractor. Had a Halon system. All new folks got a briefing on Halon. There would be a few second warning (redlight and alarm) that basically meant GET THE HELL OUT as Halon is about to go off!!!

Back
Top Bottom