States With the Most Speed Traps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great! All the states I travel in the most, have the most speed traps per mile. :mad:
If there are so many speed traps, how come there are sections of the NJTPK with a speed limit of 65 mph, and if you're not doing 80 you get run off of the road?
LOL!!

Great! All the states I travel in the most, have the most speed traps per mile. :mad:
If there are so many speed traps, how come there are sections of the NJTPK with a speed limit of 65 mph, and if you're not doing 80 you get run off of the road?
LOL!!
Good point, but I think most would agree that they tend to focus on drivers that stand out for one reason or the other. If you're driving along with the flow where everyone is driving over the limit, chances are you're relatively safe (not always of course).

However if you're speeding in a lane by yourself or if your speed stands out (weaving in/out e.g.) you're increasing the odds that you'll be grabbed.

I don't know if they do it these days but when I used to drive on the NJ Turnpike regularly when they would have radar on overpass bridges shooting cars with a long line of cop cars ahead waiting to be alerted to speeders. Sometimes there would have a dozen cars pulled over.

If you're driving along with the flow where everyone is driving over the limit, chances are you're relatively safe (not always of course).
I have seen speed traps on Hwy 395 (single lane in each direction) in CA during the 55 MPH max days where they would bust around fifty cars in a row at a time.

The two choices were very clear. Be a real AH and hold up all the traffic or get busted along with all the others.

I was able to see how they did it from the opposite direction. I was going south while they were busting the cars going north.

Since then, I have seen something similar here in NV near Verdi on I-80. They would have the busted cars get their tickets in the truck parking area.

Like many of us, I got my share of speeding tickets during the 55 MPH days. It made so much money that I was surprised the national 55 MPH speed limit ever went away.

-Don- Reno, NV

I've noted that here in Texas we have a lot of speed traps. There are LOOOONG distances between small towns and you get used to doing 70-75 mph and when you see the water tower coming up in the distance you can bet there's a small town up ahead with a cop sitting just a mile or two before you hit town. When the signs start to say 55 then 45, then 35, they mean it. Some towns have a bypass but some don't.

Georgia started cracking down on the small town speed traps. It finally came down to Ludowci, in Long County, Georgia, was pretty much the last one that was on the national "list" of speed traps maintained by the AAA. They kept a state trooper there who shadowed the city police, and they put a states attorney at the city hall. Anytime a speeder was cited, the trooper went as a witness and the attorney represented the "offender" and finally the city relented.

There were still speed traps, but not ones that were well known. The legislature passed a speed trap law that prevents police (who are not state officers) from issuing tickets for speeding less than ten over the limit. School zones, and residential areas under but not including 35 mph are also exempt. There are a couple of other odd exceptions also.

Charles

LOL!!
Not a problem here is how I do it.. I found my JEEP loves 55-65 so I normally drive 65 in the trucks 65 cars 70 zones and drop down to 55 in the 55 zones. No tickets.
45 on the road I turn on to when I leave (it's a 55 but most folks drive 45) and on the road I turn off it onto (45 zone) all the way to the 35 zone and then I slow down.

Dayna (or Chrysler's version of her) Controls the speed. (Cruise control Rockwell bought Dayna by I think and licensed it out) works good.

I've noted that here in Texas we have a lot of speed traps. There are LOOOONG distances between small towns and you get used to doing 70-75 mph and when you see the water tower coming up in the distance you can bet there's a small town up ahead with a cop sitting just a mile or two before you hit town. When the signs start to say 55 then 45, then 35, they mean it. Some towns have a bypass but some don't.
That's interesting as we do a LOT of driving around TX and just the other day I commented how rarely I see radar.

Not likely to be a problem for us if driving the coach with the tow as I don't drive over 60. Part of the reason I suppose that when driving the car, even where the limit is 70+, it actually takes some time to get used to driving that fast. I'm muddling at 55 or so and pickups on my arse anxious for the idiot from NY to speed up or get out of the way.

But your point about progressively lower speed limits when entering small towns along the way, is something to watch out for. But even there, I can't honestly say I remember seeing a radar trap even there. Not to say they aren't there of course, but I don't spot them.

One thing in my favor is I take the Garmin GPS in the car when driving and it DINGS when I approach a change in the speed limit. Very handy feature. (y)

One thing in my favor is I take the Garmin GPS in the car when driving and it DINGS when I approach a change in the speed limit.
Tesla can be set at whatever MPH over or whatever percent over (take your choice) you want it to beep at you.

-Don- Auburn, CA

tesla is making rv'
Perhaps someday. I would love to have an E-Class A Motorhome, but we have a ways to get there and I am too old to see it happen during my lifetime.

That means more than a 500-mile range with a good charging infrastructure, and a decent sized Class A. A 30-footer like my Class A will do.

They already have the 18-wheeler Tesla Trucks, so perhaps someday they (or somebody) will get into E-RVs.

This isn't nearly good enough, but it's a start.

-Don- Auburn, CA

Good point, but I think most would agree that they tend to focus on drivers that stand out for one reason or the other. If you're driving along with the flow where everyone is driving over the limit, chances are you're relatively safe (not always of course).

However if you're speeding in a lane by yourself or if your speed stands out (weaving in/out e.g.) you're increasing the odds that you'll be grabbed.

I don't know if they do it these days but when I used to drive on the NJ Turnpike regularly when they would have radar on overpass bridges shooting cars with a long line of cop cars ahead waiting to be alerted to speeders. Sometimes there would have a dozen cars pulled over.
I'm happy to say that during my recent travels up and down the east coast, I haven't seen one of those speed traps in years.:unsure:

Perhaps someday. I would love to have an E-Class A Motorhome, but we have a ways to get there and I am too old to see it happen during my lifetime.

That means more than a 500-mile range with a good charging infrastructure, and a decent sized Class A. A 30-footer like my Class A will do.

They already have the 18-wheeler Tesla Trucks, so perhaps someday they (or somebody) will get into E-RVs.

This isn't nearly good enough, but it's a start.

-Don- Auburn, CA
It was amusing however that under the Winnebago RV it said it would save the hospitals $750,000 a year. Only thing is that had zero to do with it being EV. It’s what they were paying a private contractor to travel between the hospitals cleaning surgical instruments. They could have been doing it by covered wagon for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom