Vintage British motorcycle restoration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The end of the British bikes here was when Japan lobbied congress in the early 1970's to make all motorcycles left side shift "For Safety Reasons".

They went after all British bikes and the Harley Sportster to put them out of business.  It worked.. Many just closed their doors and there were no 1975 Triumphs made as they were forced to completely retool to meet DOT standards.  After that they never could catch up. 

It also killed Flat Track racing as you can't shift it if your shifter is in the dirt.

It was the Pearl Harbor of the motorcycle world.

(Thank's Japan !)

I still miss my 500cc single cylinder Velocette, built by the last remaining British family motorcycle manufacturer (the Veloce family), with a 'fishtail' silencer aka muffler. It came out of the factory ready for the road or the track. It ran like a John Deer tractor (plop, plop, plop), resulting in my nickname being Tommy tractor.

I made the mistake (?) of telling the story to a pharmacy tech in Wyoming and, every time I visit the pharmacy, I hear "Tommy tractor is in the store".

Tom said:
I still miss my 500cc single cylinder Velocette, built by the last remaining British family motorcycle manufacturer (the Veloce family).

Loved riding the Velo Venom, once you get it wound up it was a giant killer of a motorcycle.

Ever rode a Panther ?  that truly was the "Tractor" of bikes...and fun to kick start too.

... once you get it wound up it was a giant killer of a motorcycle.

Had to ride the clutch on the Venom until it reached 35mph in 1st gear. A friend had a BSA Goldie, and that was a real beast.

Ever rode a Panther?

Never did.

Tom, I tried riding a Goldie once, I started off on a hill and had a hard time getting the Beast up to speed to shift into second without pulling the front wheel. The torque was unbelievable.

Aye Roy, I didn't ride a Goldie; It and the Velo Venom had high gear ratios. The 5 gears on the Venom were very close together, which resulted in the need to ride the clutch. IIRC the Goldie was even more so.

TonyDtorch said:
and those Japanese bikes are not worth even scrap value today.

Should have kept the BSA.

A Japanese bike,  is the culinary equivalent of Wonder Bread.

And yet I never had a single mechanical DNF.  Go figure.

I'm quite fond of my 17 year old Kawasaki ZRX 1100.  60,000 plus miles  in 15 years,  has never failed me.  Had a dozen or so previous, from BSA, Moto Guzzi, various Japanese makes.  If I live long enough, someday I'll own a Motus..

8Muddypaws said:
And yet I never had a single mechanical DNF.  Go figure.

A sports car analogy .....  I'm sure a Mazda Miata is more way more reliable than a Austin Healey 3000  .......I still want the Healey,  to me,  Life is a journey....not a destination.

And those 2 screws on the top of an Amal 930 concentric carburetor are about 3/8" long.....if you never noticed one or both sticking way up in the air every time you tickeled that carb to start the bike....then you are probably one of those people that should not own a British motorcycle.

A British motorcycle is like a high strung woman...  they are thrilling,  but they will let you down if you ignore them.    8)

Gee Tony, that bit is only about 48 years too late but thanks anyway.  If I ever invent a time machine I'll pass your sage advice on to my much younger self.  I'll also tell myself to hang on to those two Morris Minors, not to loan my car to my stupid step brother and a bunch of other things.  Too many to list here. :-X

Back
Top Bottom