What do you use to cook over the campfire?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanbrat

There is the stick thing, the wrap it in heavy duty foil thing, pie iron thing, and the dutch oven thing, and now I have tried the reflector oven thing and it worked. $5.00 dollars for parts from the dollar store and a dozen or so videos from youtube and I built a cheapy reflector oven that really works.
90% of the time we cook from the van kitchen, but this is fun and really bakes stuff. It did a good job.
What am I missing? what do you use?

Cast iron double sided grill plate. Best way to cook meat that we have found.

Cast iron double sided grill plate. Best way to cook meat that we have found.
Tony, what is a double sided grill plate? Picture tells a thousand words. Thanks.

Never mind. Google is my best friend. Apparently one side is flat and the other side has ribs. I guess you would cook steaks on the ribbed side and pancakes on the flat side.

Last edited:

4eVxv4G.jpg

B617OOo.jpg

dP8OpLW.jpg

2elklkB.jpg

EUMU29X.jpg

kV999HB.jpg

j5XaBnv.jpg

34sxhCo.jpg

Rene, that one is going to be rare!
You can't see the fire underneath it l.
We love the fires with the round metal bars as a griddle, first we do the jacket potatoes and maybe a whole onion. About half an hour later we'll put the plate on and once heated, cook whatever meat we're having.

I carry a grill grate and if I'm so moved I'll cook meat on that over wood coals. A cast iron skillet takes care of any sides. I've thought about dutch ovens but it's just the two of us and it's a lot of messing around to tend a fire all afternoon for a giant pot of food. A 20 minute round to cook a steak, burgers or some fish over hot coals checks the dinner box and doesn't exceed my attention span.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Tony, what is a double sided grill plate? Picture tells a thousand words. Thanks.

Never mind. Google is my best friend. Apparently one side is flat and the other side has ribs. I guess you would cook steaks on the ribbed side and pancakes on the flat side.

Generally a flat on one side ribbed on the other cast iron plate.. That way you can do pancakes (flat) or eggs, or flip it for steaks and burgers.
I do NOT recommend a tripod. I have one. and it works but I'd rather have a stick (Metal rod) in the ground with an adjustable shelf hanging off it or some other adjustable height legged assembly.
If you do use a tripod a pair of Vice Grips locked on the edge and an ove-glove really help.

But, won't the pancakes fall off when you're cooking steak for a big "lumberjack" breakfast?

(I'm so very sorry for posting this - but I'm weak and could not resist.):ROFLMAO:

Use bailing wire to tie the steak on the grill. Can’t tie the pancakes or eggs on for obvious reasons. You know, this stuff ain’t rocket science. :cool:
That's why I like the forum - there are always folks that can think a problem through and provide valid solutions to ANY problem!

Thanks @Oldgator73 !

I have a couple of these. One is really old and has a long handle. I grill veggies over the fire as well as meats for me as DW is mostly vegetarian but will eat fish.

1668964542120.png

I carry power wherever we go out and about and most of the time that is what we use, but when we have a good ol' campfire it is fun to play with cooking over an open flame.

One time we went out to camp and all I took was shrimp, half cooked bacon, 'tatos in foil, small apples to roast, a bag of salad and some good sour dough bread rolls. I didn't even bring any plates just a few paper cups. Wrapped the shrimp in the bacon stuck them on sticks and tossed the tatos in the fire and cups of salad and tore the bread after the 'dinner' we roasted the apples and dipped them in a tiny bit of cinnamon and sugar. It was a really yummy dinner and all we had to do to clean up was burn the paper cups and sticks and wipe off the knife until I got back home.

It had been a really tiring time of life and all I had to do was sit my butt in the chair and hold a stick and eat bagged salad and open the foil packet and eat off of that. So lazy.

We have a good huge grill that is on a post over the firepit at home, it can hold a ton of food and get folded out of the way when not in use. We have cooked 30 +/- dogs at a time there as well as hot water for cocoa and such, but still like the stick stuff. I have usually got a dozen or so sticks ready in a holder out there, but not everyone likes to do that.... Silly people. I like the dish washing of stick cooking. I have seen some fun stick 'tools' that I want to try sometime.

Back
Top Bottom