What kind of anode rod is this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tobiasly

Hey all, just bought my first RV a couple months ago, a 2006 Keystone Springdale. It seems like the previous owners took really good care of it. I'm trying to go through all of the regular maintenance & familiarize myself with how everything works.

The water heater is the Suburban SW6P. When I went to pull out the anode rod, I noticed that it looked like one rod threaded inside the other with some type of drain threaded on the end.

Can someone explain what the purpose of this is? Is the smaller part just so a smaller size socket can be used? Is this supposed to make it easier to drain?

The rod itself looks fine but I was planning to just replace it with a regular rod at the start of next season & wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. The hand knob at the end made it impossible to fit a socket so I had to loosen it with an adjustable wrench which seems like too much bother.

PXL_20240406_223459399.jpg

Looks like a clone for the Camco 11533 Anode Rod.
The problem with this design, is it doesn't allow for flushing the tank without complete removal. I can also see it getting plugged by the debris in the tank.
Only take few minutes to remove the standard anode rod.

It may be just me but to anyone else, does that rod look a little short? It will still work fine but I seem to remember a new rod is about 10” long. Does anyone have a new one they could measure.
If it is short, maybe the previous owner cut off part of it. Those rods can be hard to install because of the weight so they may have shortened it to make it lighter so it would be easier to install with less chances of cross threading the threads.
Like I said, this one will work fine but will not last as long as a new one.
Keep in mind, when the rod gets down to about 25% left, it’s time to replace it.

Update: I just found one on Amazon and it was
9 1/4” long.

Last edited:
It may be just me but to anyone else, does that rod look a little short? It will still work fine but I seem to remember a new rod is about 10” long. Does anyone have a new one they could measure.
If it is short, maybe the previous owner cut off part of it. Those rods can be hard to install because of the weight so they may have shortened it to make it lighter so it would be easier to install with less chances of cross threading the threads.
Like I said, this one will work fine but will not last as long as a new one.
Keep in mind, when the rod gets down to about 25% left, it’s time to replace it.

Update: I just found one on Amazon and it was
9 1/4” long.

The Camco anode rod is 4 1/2 inches long. You'll probably be replacing the twice a year at $25 each.

Camco RV Water Heater Anode Rod w/ Drain - 1/2" Diameter x 4-1/2" Long​

Item # CAM11533

Nothing magical - Camco has just provided a hollow anode with a drain valve. The idea being you can drain the heater without removing the anode. A small convenience for those who believe they should drain the heater whenever it's not in use (yes, there are people who do that). If you don't do that, replace it with a standard (longer size) anode without a valve.

The rod itself looks fine but I was planning to just replace it with a regular rod at the start of next season & wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything.
It looks like a home made version of the anode with a drain which I consider to be a gimmick for the uninitiated. The only 2 people that I have known to try and use those were both dissatisfied after a short time because the hole through the center was quickly plugged as a result of the normal deterioration of the anode. If you use a proper anode it will last a year and you should drain and flush the water heater tank at least once a year. The degradation of that anode and also the normal accumulation of minerals solidifying from hard water need to be flushed from the tank at least annually. Each year I drain my Suburban water heater and use a flushing tool to wash out the collection that develops in the bottom of the tank after a year of use.
1713033083429.png

Be ware of those flushing tools shown in the post above, the cheap plastic on the tube tends to crack around the fitting allowing it to shoot off into the water heater tank after a couple of years. I just threw one out that was staring to crack around the base of the tube.

Nothing magical - Camco has just provided a hollow anode with a drain valve. The idea being you can drain the heater without removing the anode. A small convenience for those who believe they should drain the heater whenever it's not in use (yes, there are people who do that). If you don't do that, replace it with a standard (longer size) anode without a valve.
Ah that makes sense thanks, I was confused as to why you'd need a separate drain if you're removing the rod anyway

Each year I drain my Suburban water heater and use a flushing tool to wash out the collection that develops in the bottom of the tank after a year of use.
Yup thanks I just ordered one of those after watching a few videos on how to winterize.

Be ware of those flushing tools shown in the post above, the cheap plastic on the tube tends to crack around the fitting allowing it to shoot off into the water heater tank after a couple of years. I just threw one out that was staring to crack around the base of the tube.
Haha with my luck that sounds like something that would happen to me, thanks for the heads up

I've been using the same plastic one for about 10 years without a problem. I've even loaned it out a few times.
My advice is to check it for cracks around the base of the tube before each use if you plan to continue using it, mine was still attached when I threw it away, but had 3 or 4 quarter inch long or so cracks in the tubing at the base. All it would take would be one of those to split out a bit longer for the tube to go shooting off when water pressure was applied.

Back
Top Bottom