Alternator or Generator???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peteH1070

Does a 1989 class A coachmen Classic on a John Deere chassis using a ford 460cid have an alternator or a generator for the engine battery or is the engine battery recharged from the onboard coach generator? This may seem like a foolish question, but I'm new to the Motorhome club and have no experience in this area.

The chassis engine battery is charged by the chassis engine alternator. The chassis engine alternator should be charging the house battery (s) also. You should have 2 separate battery supplies. House battery (s) and a chassis battery.

The onboard coach generator will send 120 volts to the onboard converter charger which then supplies the house with 12 volt power and charges the house battery (s). The converter charger will also receive 120 volts when plugged into a power cord either from your home or a camp site etc.

Keep in mind that the coachman classics of that era had switching that toggled the chassis battery in and out from converter charging and house power usage. Usually a switch in the dash drivers side somewhere.

Its best to get a volt meter and start taking readings so that you are clear what is being charged and when.

The chassis engine battery is charged by the chassis engine alternator. The chassis engine alternator should be charging the house battery (s) also. You should have 2 separate battery supplies. House battery (s) and a chassis battery.

The onboard coach generator will send 120 volts to the onboard converter charger which then supplies the house with 12 volt power and charges the house battery (s). The converter charger will also receive 120 volts when plugged into a power cord either from your home or a camp site etc.

Keep in mind that the coachman classics of that era had switching that toggled the chassis battery in and out from converter charging and house power usage. Usually a switch in the dash drivers side somewhere.

Its best to get a volt meter and start taking readings so that you are clear what is being charged and when.
Thanks for this info Henry. I will look for the switch as well as get the proper meter to check everything out.

I don't think generators have been used in production vehicles since the 1960's. Maybe commercial trucks were slower to adopt but it would surprise me to learn if it was much past the 70's. The distinction I make for Ford alternators is an external regulator vs the internal one GM uses, but most certainly it will be an alternator.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I believe that Ford was the last auto builder to change and they went to alternators in 1964. Your RV is a classic. John Deere sold their chassis business to Oshkosh in 1989.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ralbite123
Back
Top Bottom