general questions about rving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Spr

Hello All,
We are thinking of going full time rving after retirement... soon. And had questions about what to expect. If anyone has experiences they would like to share. I know the rv we choose will need to fit our needs but was hoping to hear about how long things tend to last such as water heater, fridge, ac, etc. How "sturdy" is an rv to handle everyday life? I lived in a 22 foot travel trailer many years ago that was my brothers but then it was only me. I'm sure lots have changed since the late 70's. Ha Ha.
Thanks for any info anyone can provide
  ;D 

First, a big welcome to the RVForum Paul. Second...Wow! You've asked for a lot of information, but hey, that's why we're here. Overall, appliances tend to last for many years, but as with anything, a lot depends on how well they're maintained. Our 43 foot motorhome is probably as durable as they come. After all, Winnie has been building them for decades. Even so, our owners manual says our RV was not designed for full-time living, yet people often full-time in them.

If your house were constructed of the same lightweight material as an RV, and then you subjected it to a 6.0 earthquake everyday, it would have the same problems RVs have. The important thing is to keep an eye on everything (especially leaks) and maintain it properly. Stay ahead of the curve and odds are, you'll avoid a lot of problems. That's a lot easier to do if you're a DIY kind of person, and it'll save you a lot of money too.

Kev

I agree with Kevin, and also remember that Travel Trailers where designed to be vacation toys, if you subject them and demand 365 days a year out of them, you might wear the equipment out quicker.  At the top of this Forum are great links to Library, Resources, previous discussions over many years, and read them.  Get educated on RV life.  It certainly isn't for everyone, I know I couldn't full-time, My DW and I would kill one another after a couple months in modest size RV (and we've been married 29 years) lol.

if you are handy with plumbing, electricity, carpentry, trouble shooting, etc and have all the necessary tools you should have no problem. Otherwise, it is going to cost you lots of bucks.

Jack L

Thanks for the info.. I am.pretty handy...so general maintenance should be fine. As long as appliances cooperate I feel pretty good. I appreciate the advice.

To give you an idea. My Rig is 14 years old. There is a part (I call it the "Hat on the Stink Pipes" properly it's the waste tank vent covers I suspect.. Well of the 3 all 3 have failed (Decomposed due to UV light of the sun) SO today's job was repair and replace

Two of 'em I scraped the caulk off the base, REmoved six screws (1/4" wrench needed used power driver) scraped the old one off. layed a layer of Dicore non-sag set the new one in place. six screws back in (power driver) and more dicor to seal.

The 3rd has a upgrade so I just Dicored it

HOT. and Tired after 5 trips up ye old ladder but... Job done.

It's easy. bit messy but easy to do.

Welcome to the Forum!!

First, as already stated, take advantage of the Library and the many years of threads.  Read as much as your eyes can handle.

Ask lots of questions.  There is no such thing as a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Buy used.  There are many threads explaining why.  It is more than just the money.

Make sure you LOVE the FLOOR PLAN!

For full timing, avoid entry level campers, intended for a few weekends a year.  Spend the extra for a higher "trim level", better built with better materials.

We lived in a 8 x 38 house trailer when we first got married.  For a year until I graduated.  I hear you.  Our FW is larger and better designed than that trailer.

Thank you for the insight.
I will definitely be reading everything I can from the library and my at the questions I'm sure I will have.
Lol.
I appreciate having this resource and the knowledge and experience of everyone at my fingertips.
Thanks again.

This is really an open ended question, first on how long things last, with proper care, RV batteries last 4-5 years, tires should be replaced every 6-7 years regardless of wear, RV roofs need to be resealed every 5-10 (maybe 15) years depending on type (rubber, fiberglass, Aluminum, etc.) and storage conditions.  Most black rubber parts should be replaced after 10-12 years (propane regulator, suspension bushings, rubber hoses, ...) RV refrigerators, typically last 12-15 years, the same for air conditioners, though some last much longer, water heaters depend on care, hardness of water, etc. but 15-18 years seems a fair guess.  Power converters / Inverters, electronic slide control systems, etc.  are all over the place.

As to build quality it ranges from poor to fair, depending on what you buy, any travel trailer or 5th wheel with "lite" or "ultra-lite" in its name means everything was sacrificed to make it lite / towable by a smaller tow vehicle, the first clue to such construction is the floor sagging when you step on board.  Much the same goes for interior build quality a low end RV with plastic plumbing fixtures, and cabinet work made out of particle board held together with staples, will not tend to last as long as ceramic and fiberglass plumbing fixtures, and cabinet work made from solid wood held together with screws.

Thank you Isaac. That is good info and some time spends are better as an average as I feared.
Had not even considered plumbing or cabinets. Thank for putting that bug in.my ear as well.Lol
Very good info to have though.

The plumbing fixture issue is of particular concern when buying older used RV's.  Lower end models tend to have plastic shower pans and enclosures, which may look great, but that is only because the previous owner never used them and always used campground showers.  As a result many new owners have stepped into their "lightly used" plastic showers for the first time, just to have the plastic crack.  Remember plastic is much more prone to becoming brittle with age than fiberglass is.

Back
Top Bottom