Grand Junction, CO to Durango, CO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau127

Traveling from Canyon View RV Resort in Grand Junction, CO to United Campgrounds in Durango, CO. Please share your thoughts on a travel route.

We're about to do the route the other way but want to stop at montrose as well.
I've looked at the 550 and Google mapped the tunnel south of Ouray.
At 13'7" clearance that's too close for us.
Google maps also showed a route that might suit you by going through Moab and down to Monticelli and back into Colorado through Cortez.
We'll probably use the 145 from Cortez and then the 62 to Ridgeway to avoid the tunnel.
We're hoping to travel the 550 (Million dollar highway) solo over the weekend and can let you know what it's like after, if that's any help.

We're about to do the route the other way but want to stop at montrose as well.
I've looked at the 550 and Google mapped the tunnel south of Ouray.
At 13'7" clearance that's too close for us.
Google maps also showed a route that might suit you by going through Moab and down to Monticelli and back into Colorado through Cortez.
We'll probably use the 145 from Cortez and then the 62 to Ridgeway to avoid the tunnel.
We're hoping to travel the 550 (Million dollar highway) solo over the weekend and can let you know what it's like after, if that's any help.
That would be great, thanks

Hope you're enjoying Grand Junction. We are boondocking north of Fruita. Lots to see around here.

550 south from Montrose to 62 at Ridgway to 140 south to Cortez bypasses the tunnel and the Million Dollar Highway and from what I remember it's an easy drive.

Unless you're an experienced mountain driver, not taking an RV over the Million Dollar Highway is a good idea but a 13'7" tunnel should not be cause for concern. Since the maximum vehicle height in the US is 13'6" it means any vehicle that doesn't require an oversize moving permit will fit through it. Your RV roof is shorter than the maximum height because it includes things like a roof mounted air conditioner and on an arched roof tunnel the clearance increases as you move away from the edge.

but a 13'7" tunnel should not be cause for concern. Since the maximum vehicle height in the US is 13'6" it means any vehicle that doesn't require an oversize moving permit will fit through it. Your RV roof is shorter than the maximum height because it includes things like a roof mounted air conditioner and on an arched roof tunnel the clearance increases as you move away from the edge.
I just wonder if the guy with the tape measure was as careful as those that build RV's🤔
And whether the road has been surface dressed since?
Caution, always the better part of valour

For a scenic and relatively direct route from Canyon View RV Resort in Grand Junction to United Campgrounds in Durango, I’d recommend taking **US-50 E to CO-550 S**. Here’s the breakdown:

1. **Take US-50 E** from Grand Junction towards Montrose. This stretch offers beautiful views of the Gunnison River and rolling landscapes.
2. Once you reach Montrose, **turn onto CO-550 S** (also known as the Million Dollar Highway) towards Durango. This route will take you through Ridgway, Ouray, and Silverton, offering some of the most stunning mountain views in Colorado. However, keep in mind that this section of the road is steep and winding, particularly between Ouray and Silverton. If you're comfortable with mountain driving, it’s a breathtaking trip, but take it slow with your RV.
3. Continue on CO-550 S all the way into Durango.

This route covers about **175 miles** and takes approximately **4-5 hours** depending on traffic and weather. It’s a beautiful drive, but you’ll want to plan for some extra time to enjoy the sights and navigate the mountain passes safely.

Well, 550 south of Ouray is not for the meek. Margo would NOT ride that road. We've been down to Telluride a number of times, but she refused to go 550 past Ridgway. She literally refused to get in the rig, until I promised we would not go that way.
We ran over to Crescent Junction, and down US 191 to Monticello, and 491 to Cortez, and 160 east to Durango. It is bit further a drive, but I found it to be fairly scenic and an easy drive, most of the time.

We've just travelled 2 routes solo.
The 550 from Ouray is very scenic but, there's several sections of tight switchbacks, short steep inclines and long hills both up and down.
There's also sections where there's absolutely no protection on the road edge if you misplace a wheel.
The short tunnel has 13'7" clearance, so if your RV is near that height, how much do you trust the guy with the tape measure.
However, we did see A, C class, fifth wheels and trailers travelling the route so it is doable, it depends on how confident you are.
The second option is to turn off the 550 at Ridgeway and travel via Telluride and Rico on the 62 and 145 to Dolores, and then the 184 and 160 back to Durango.
The route is a lot longer and there's still several hills to go up and down but the road is definitely easier to drive.
The pictures are the short tunnel and a snow shed on the 550.
Personally, I wouldn't tow our 34 ft long 13'6" high fifth wheel on the 550.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_20240914_105440.jpg
    IMG_20240914_105440.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20240914_104908.jpg
    IMG_20240914_104908.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 2
A couple more pictures of highway 550 and of our satnav showing the switchbacks

Attachments

• IMG_20240914_104747.jpg
    IMG_20240914_104747.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20240914_104940.jpg
    IMG_20240914_104940.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 3
550 south from Montrose to 62 at Ridgway to 140 south to Cortez bypasses the tunnel and the Million Dollar Highway and from what I remember it's an easy drive.
FWIW, it's highway 145, not 140.

This route has the advantage of going by Ralph Lauren's ranch on Dallas Divide, and that man is very good at picking a gorgeous location for a ranch. I think it's more scenic than 550, not least because you don't have to have your eyes locked on the road and worry about crossing the center line (both you and other vehicles), and can actually enjoy the view. I love driving through there.

Back
Top Bottom