How does this residential refrig work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RandCGraves

Just purchased 2018 Jayco Northpoint 5th wheel from a young couple who bought it to live in while building. Their plans changed. Being too large to travel around for camping, they used it only a couple times in the 2 years they owned it. We purchased it to take to a seasonal site in northern Michigan and leave it year round. Currently we are trying to work out some kinks. The seller told us they bought it second hand from friends and the refrig did not work when they got it home. An RV technician finally concluded that it was beyond repair and it was replaced with a residential Frigidaire side-by-side. (Story is a rear window had to be removed to get the old out and the new in!!!!) When we got it home and plugged into our 50amp service the refrigerator came right on and it cooling. But we do not know how to turn it off (rather than have it sit running empty) and the control panel does not seem to be working. Nothing in the manual addresses the control panel in the door which is unlit and seemingly dead. We will have to call an appliance repairman but how and where do we unplug this thing? There is also the question of draining the water line when we winterize. There seems to be no access to the back of the refrig. Any ideas as we begin this journey?

I am just thinking out loud. If it had a traditional gas/electric fridge originally there is a vented access door that will now be at the back of fridge outside. Should be a 120 outlet there.
The water line should come under the slide from the ones I've seen and the connection should be accessible thru the same vent door. All just a WAG on my part:eek:

There will be a circuit breaker that serves the fridge outlet. Just flip it off and see if anything else on that circuit needs to stay on while the trailer is idle. Otherwise, Hvactech's advice is solid. Another thought: many modern fridges shut off cooling while the doors are open. Open it up and remove or disconnect the interior light if you can.

I can't help but think there is something bizarre about this. Unusual enough that a 2018 absorption fridge already failed catastrophically, and now a recent model residential fridge has a failed control panel? The former owners must be either mechanically abusive or really unlucky.

I am just thinking out loud. If it had a traditional gas/electric fridge originally there is a vented access door that will now be at the back of fridge outside. Should be a 120 outlet there.
The water line should come under the slide from the ones I've seen and the connection should be accessible thru the same vent door. All just a WAG on my part:eek:
Thanks but no access. We have an 06 Cardinal with the gas/electric with the rear access panel so that was the first thing we looked for. In googling the refrig model to trouble-shoot it suggested unplugging for 5 minutes. Still searching for where it is plugged in. “One step at a time.”

The online floorplans for this model all show it originally came with a residential fridge. So within 6 years we're on the 2nd wounded fridge? Methinks there's more to the story.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Draining the Ice maker line.

Drain all the water lines in the RV.. With the unit plugged in force cycle the Ice maker (There are multiple ways to do this they tell you not to force the ice "Fingers" to turn but I've done it. Pull the front off the ice maker and there is a large gear wheel with an arrow Turn in direction of arrow) It will cycle) Gravity will drain the line down into the now Drained lines below the fridge.. I'd cycle a residential at least twice with time between to insure draining.

Hopefully the installer did it right

Actually I'd remove the ice maker and use a counter top unit (I did in fact. Still do)>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom