LDS music resource

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Curious, I recently asked some LDS friends if they had a list of hymns, sacred songs, and other songs they sang. I was sent a link to a long list of songs, some of which I knew and had sung, some I'd heard during Sunday broadcasts of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and some I had to look up on YouTube.

Yesterday, while browsing the LDS web site (looking at current family tree/history tools), I stumbled on their Music Library. A great resource.

Interesting.

We just went to one of their rehearsals last month when we were visiting Salt Lake City. Outstanding choir for sure!
For sure. I was never lucky enough to attend a live rehearsal (was never in SLC on the right day).

I was doing some research on the choir recently, and discovered that it was started by a man from the homeland, together with 10 or so other Welshmen. When I was recently having a discussion with a staff member at the WY orthopedic clinic in WY, he mentioned that he's Mormon, and we got into a discussion of the choir. I relayed the "started by a Welshman" story, and he was quite surprised.

A guy I worked with in Utah was selected into their prepatory choir. He said there were serious auditions, then, if you get selected, you go through lessons and lots of practice. Then, eventually, you can audition for the “real” choir. I have no idea how people who do travel for work can manage. There is basically no grace given for missing rehearsals, or so he said. I am not a fan of huge choirs. Even the best of them with professional singers sound muddy a bit due to the shear number of voices. I much prefer a choir of 40 or less.

A guy I worked with in Utah was selected into their prepatory choir. He said there were serious auditions, then, if you get selected, you go through lessons and lots of practice. Then, eventually, you can audition for the “real” choir.
That doesn't surprise me, but folks must really want to be in the choir to go through all that.
I am not a fan of huge choirs. Even the best of them with professional singers sound muddy a bit due to the shear number of voices. I much prefer a choir of 40 or less.
Back in the homeland, almost every town and village had a choir, historically all-male, 4-part harmony. They varied in size from roughly 20 - 120.

Some of the best 'harmony' singing I've heard was at my Dad's funeral. Members of the local village choir turned up and were joined by numerous villagers. Folks gathered in the street and began singing, while a private service was held inside the house; I could hear the singing, and remembered this was tradition for Welsh villages. When we got to the crematorium, they literally blew the roof off with their singing.

We have a friend that is going thru that program as we speak,, she had to MOVE to SLC ( from Cedar City )to be available at all times to participate.. Not a problem as she is the wife of one of the attorney's for the local Insurance conglomerate The Leavitt Group.. This company started in 1952 and presently owns 110 agencies.nationwide and headquartered in the city..>>>Dan

We went to see one of their performances a few years ago. The performance included several smaller choirs, solos, and many styles of music. I thought it was going to be boring. I was wrong.

To put it succinctly they are freakin' awesome.

I got the tickets free as a reward and sat in my company's sky box eating and (not) drinking. :ROFLMAO:

We went to see one of their performances a few years ago.
Russ, I suspect that, unless you're LDS, that was one of their rehearsals. The performance in the Temple is restricted to LDS members. But visitors are welcome to their rehearsals at the Tabernacle.

Were they performing elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rehearsal. It was in the ice hockey stadium in San Jose. AKA 'The Shark Tank'. My company leased a skybox for many years. Went to a few hockey games as well.

All in al I understood the music better than hockey.

My DW is LDS. Non-practicing.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a rehearsal. It was in the ice hockey stadium in San Jose. AKA 'The Shark Tank'. My company leased a skybox for many years. Went to a few hockey games as well.

Thanks for clarification Russ.

My company leased a skybox for many years. Went to a few hockey games as well.
Our Co. had Club Level seats at the Shark Tank. One game was all it took for Chris to become addicted. She watches every one of our grandson's games - live when we're in Ohio, or via Live Barn streaming service when we're not.

They do have a number of public performances too. Until COVID hit, they had major international tours every couple of years and major US tours occasionally. Yes, they generally sing at LDS services, but they do a lot more. The rehearsals used to be on Thursday evenings and open to the public. Rules were strict though - no coming and going. Once you were in your seat, you were there for the duration of 2-3 hours. I knew an organist who played for them pretty regularly on their big organ. When he left the LDS church, that gig dried up.

I went to a rehearsal at the Tabernacle many years ago. After the first number the conductor turned to the audience and explained the members of the Choir were all lay volunteers, and audience applause at the end of each song was allowed and encouraged.

Reactions: Tom

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fth
Back
Top Bottom