Preferred mattress- Gary B.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Gary,
A couple of months ago you recommended Brooklyn as a good mattress supplier. I'm looking at their Signature king (medium). Overall, what is your experience and, which is the one ytou selected?

Tx,

Ernie

By far the simplest method is either go buy a duplicate to what you have at home if you like it. Or go to a big mattress store and try them all out. Otherwise your choosing something blind.

I once read, if you don't full-time, a standard mattress from a mattress store might not breath adequate and actually mold if stored in a high humid area. I think that is one reason for 'box springs', to also allow ventilation to the mattress rather than a plywood floor. I also heard that the foam crap that comes in the trailer is less like to hold and harbor mold. Seems logical so maybe do a bit more checking

We upgraded to a "Home" queen size mattress in our TT.
The first challenge was the RV queen is shorter so I had to replace the plywood base with a longer piece.
I then installed a layer of Flooring-Underlayment and sealed all the seams and ends with foil tape.

I then installed a layer of hog hair filter material. The mattress sits on top of this.

So far (2 years plus) we have had no problem with mold or musty smells.

It was my understanding that a person sleeping on a regular mattress will put off a lot heat. If the space below the mattress is unheated it can cause a condensation problem inside the mattress. The filter material seems to allow enough air to pass though to prevent the problem for us.

Over the last couple of years we have upgraded all of our mattresses to either latex or latex hybrid mattresses and are very happy with them. Note latex is nothing like memory foam, which I can't stand, Latex is springy like a good innerspring mattress just with much more even support, out of the ones we have bought the best bang for the buck came from a small mattress company in California by the name of Flexus Comfort, they have a fairly basic web site, but make a good product, ours arrived in a box marked Nest mattress with a label on it that said that it was really a Flexus Comfort mattress and that they had previously been a Nest mattress manufacturer and were being evironmentally sound and using up the Nest boxes. So I went to the Nest web site which as fancy and talked about planting a tree with the profit from every order, etc. and saw that they offered a nearly identical mattress to the one I had bought that was priced nearly twice as high.

p.s. note they will do custom RV mattress sizes, you just need to get a custom quote

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oldgal
Back
Top Bottom