Speedometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Got an odd one here.
Year 2000 Fleetwood Bounder 36 ft Class A Model 36S
Ford chassis, V10 engine

Since we bought it used in 2015 there has been a problem with the speedometer. When the bus is started the meter goes to 40 mph. It stays there until the speed gets to 45 mph. From that point on it reads correct speed. Sometimes, randomly, the needle will return to zero, leading me to think it is an electrical situation.

We took it to a local RV shop for winterizing and put speedometer on the repair sheet. I got the call today saying Ford doesn't carry that speedometer cable any more. Their idea was to replace the speedometer cable and go from there. I didn't like that answer so told them to "never mind" and just focus on the winterizing.

This is a new one for me. The moving to 40 mph and sometimes returning to zero only to pop back up again smells of a bad ground wire somewhere to me.. The speedometer on my bus does work and display speed. I don't see how replacing the cable will solve this problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this??

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, the speedometer is electric, no cable.
There is a fellow (subford) on IRV2/Ford Motorhome Chassis that is a wiz-bang on F53 electrical problems. Give Bill at try.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/

Richard

Thanks Richard!
A great resource for those of us with Ford coaches!
Looks like this is a common problem with these.
Thanks again!!
Jim

Back
Top Bottom