Tire Size: 19.5" or 22.5"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pastarr

Finally getting down to choosing exact model of RV and need a little advice. The models we really like with bunkhouse are the Holiday Rambler Vacationer XE 36D, Fleetwood Bounder 36H, and Thor Challenger 37TB.

All have 22,000 lb chassis but the HR has 19.5" tires the others 22.5" tires.

What is the difference and how important do you think the tire size is?

Thank you!

Larger tires can carry more payload. The experts will chime in but I love our Class A with the 22.5"s. Makes me feel like I am driving a heavy duty luxury class MH. Of course they are more money to replace but hey...RVing is expensive any way you look at it. When camping with hookups the other rigs with smaller tires look wimpy and kinda cheap.

All other things being equal (rarely the case) 22.5" is better for the reasons others have already cited. However, as long as the 19.5's are rated sufficiently for the specific motorhome's weight (GVWR, axle weights, etc), it really doesn't make any difference. The engineers who put the whole package together hopefully chose tires sized suitably for the task, so that you don't need to worry about it.

On the plus side, the 19'5's will be a bit less expensive when replacement time comes.

Back
Top Bottom