Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bzerull

We just got back from Yellowstone 4 days ago. We were there for 5 nights, all at fishing bridge RV Park. We entered through the east, via Cody. We were pulling a 26’ trailer with an F-150 1/2 ton turbo 6. Very pleasant drive, I thought the grade was quite easy and very manageable with our rig. Inside the park, driving around in the park was a real delight with perfect weather, mid 70’s to low 80’s during the day and low forties at night, with sunny skies and no rain. Saw just about every kind of animal, but no bears. All the park staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. We had no cell service or wifi, which as it turns out, we didn’t miss and was a pleasure to be away from.
We would gladly do this trip again, but would prefer a small motor home over our truck, which would be easy to get around in. We were probably lucky with the weather, but going this time of year, there was a lot less traffic. When we left, we exited at the Northeast exit. Drove through bear tooth pass in Wyoming. Beautiful!!! If you have never done this, we highly recommend.

Hi Bzerull and all,

Thanks for your report! Can you tell me how busy the park was this time of year? I might be interested in such a trip, this time of year, if it is less crowded.

I'm sure others would like to hear also. Thanks!

There are great opportunities to see wolves if you can go reasonably early and watch for folks with spotting scopes.

Consider the weather in later months, particularly if you have to go over any of the high passes.

The TV weather guy last night said it was snowing in Yellowstone, though he gave no details and it might just be some higher elevations???
I wouldn't be surprised. The forecast for today shows lows of 1 and highs of 8. 90% chance of precipitation. But it should rebound after tomorrow.

Hi Bzerull and all,

Thanks for your report! Can you tell me how busy the park was this time of year? I might be interested in such a trip, this time of year, if it is less crowded.

I'm sure others would like to hear also. Thanks!
We could freely travel anywhere in the park. A few of the sites had very full lots, but we never had a problem parking anywhere. If you get to these sites before 10 am, very little if any problem. I highly recommend Fishing bridge RV park. Yes it is pricey, but what a time saver starting your exploring from a centrally located spot within the park. Even though they have limits on RV sizes, we had someone show up 2 spots from us with a 45’ fifth wheel (he didn’t tell the park he had bought a new RV) and was able to drop his trailer on a spot for a trailer no more than 30’. The employees in the park and at the campground were very friendly and as accommodating as they could possibly be. We definitely want to go back.

There are great opportunities to see wolves if you can go reasonably early and watch for folks with spotting scopes.

Consider the weather in later months, particularly if you have to go over any of the high passes.
The only place in the park that we thought might be a problem in bad weather is on the northern loop around Mount Washburn. I was surprised how easy the rest of the park was to travel in. We did not see a wolf, but we did see many buffalo, Huge bull elk and a cow with 2 calves, mule deer buck and doe, moose, female mountain goat, coyote and fox and of course many bird types. All of these by the road without a scope, which we did have.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised. The forecast for today shows lows of 1 and highs of 8. 90% chance of precipitation. But it should rebound after tomorrow.
We know we were very lucky to have the weather we had. I guess it is very common to have temporary road closures on or near the first part of October.

We have had the same small motorhome for years and when we were in YNP about 10 years ago, we were puzzling why all the passcars were parked at the road edge to look at fauna (Bison, Elk and one wolf) when we could see it just fine from the front seats. Then it occurred to me that we were sitting at about the elevation of a passcar roof. I do get things right sometimes... Matt_C

We went in last Sunday through the west entrance, waited about 15 minutes to get in. Not to busy until we went from Madison to Norris, took an 90 minutes to go 14 miles due to bison on the road. From there very little traffic to Canyon Village. We parked at Grand View and hiked to Inspiration Point.
On the way out we saw a black bear and in Mammoth we saw a huge bull elk.
We were able to find parking everywhere we stopped.

Back
Top Bottom