1996 Damon Ultasport 35'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffhohne

Hi, All. My name is Jeff and I am new to this site. My wife and I are looking at purchasing a used class C to cruise around the west coast. This will be our first.

Found this. Have never heard of Damon. What are your thoughts, please? Log into Facebook

Damon makes / made mostly entry to mid range coaches, based on the photos this appears to be a fairly typical sub $10,000 motorhome, everything in the photos appears to be vintage, with no signs of any major updates, exterior seems to suffer from sun fading, and given where it is parked I suspect it has not moved much in a while. In other words it is likely a money pit, though there are no specific red flags shown in the photos, however without seeing it in person it is impossible to say what was excluded through the use of selective photography.

Damon was a mid-price to entry level motorhome company. Becoming part of Thor Industries in 2003, Damon Corporation was merged with Four Winds International to form Thor Motor Coach. The original company no longer exists. The value of an RV that is now 26 years old is all based on the condition of it. The mileage is questionable since that would be only 2,000 miles per year, if accurate. It probably at the very least would mean that it has sat, possibly as a residence for many years and that could be a negative thing. The $8900 price is reasonable if everything is working and in reasonably good condition but there was no mention of the air conditioner, so probably it doesn't work. The same could be true for the water pump, and quite possibly other things. If you are a person who is able to do most repair and replacement yourself, it might be OK. With an RV that age you could have problems finding replacement parts for some things. I suggest that if you make the 90-mile roundtrip to see it, I strongly suggest that you try and find someone with extensive RV experience to go along and before you buy you need to get it professionally inspected, both RV and chassis.

Thanks, Fellas. I appreciate the feedback. Can you share your short list of make/model/year/class/fuel that you’d recommend? I’d really appreciate some direction.

Jeff

To follow up on Kirk's post here, I own a 2002 model year gas class A motorhome, so of a similar, but slightly newer vintage to the one in this ad, though mine has many updates and upgrades, plus was a much higher end coach when built than the Damon. I try to keep my coach in ready to go anywhere condition, when things break I fix / replace them, I bought mine in 2016, and since then I have put almost 30,000 miles on it, typically taking at least one thousand mile trip per year, and one circa 3,000 mile trip every other year. In order to keep it in this sort of ready to go condition, I find that I spend on average over $2,000 per year in maintenance and upkeep, doing most repairs myself. In 2021 that was $2,000 worth of new tires (RV tires age out after about 7-8 years, even if they have good tread, 2022 was upgrading to LiFePo4 batteries, 2023 was replacing the roof top air condition, and rear brake calipers, 2024 so far has been new front brake calipers, master cylinder, hydrobooster, exhaust donuts, and new front wheel bearings, though a lot of this is one thing lead to another, ie after replacing the master cylinder the bleeder screw broke off one of the brake calipers, then since it was almost time to repack the bearings while I was half way there on labor I pulled the wheel hub and found metal shavings in the bearing grease....

To answer your question about make model, etc. a lot depends on how you plan to use it, though when looking at older RV's condition is the most important factor, regardless of initial build quality. This is not to say that initial build quality is irrelevant, as it sets an upper boundary on likely condition since some materials age better than others, ie full body paint beats gel coated fiberglass with vinyl stickers, real wood cabinets held together with screws beats particle board held together with staples, ...

Hi, All. My name is Jeff and I am new to this site. My wife and I are looking at purchasing a used class C to cruise around the west coast. This will be our first.

Found this. Have never heard of Damon. What are your thoughts, please? Log into Facebook
The unit you linked to is a Class A

Most manufacturers of class A RVs build models that range from entry(low budget) level to at least mid-price or above. Brands like Newmar, Tiffin, Winnebago, and a few others do have better reputations but after 20 years or more the RV that was the very best when it left the factory could be trashed, while one of the lower priced RVs of the same age that has been well cared for and even upgraded over the same 20 years could be a bargain.

You are talking about buying a 28 year-old truck that is carrying a 28 yo old house filled with equally old appliances & furnishings. See where I'm going with this? Condition is everything, and even excellent condition still carries the risk of things worn out from use or simple aged materials. It could be pristine on the day you buy it but it begins to experience major problems as soon as you begin using it. And if you have to hire a pro to fix it, big bucks (more on this later).

I suggest focusing on the higher grade brands (original price was higher) because they stand a better chance of having been cared for and survived, but that's not a guarantee. Since your budget seems to be in the range of older gas-chassis coaches, your better bets are Newmar Mountainaire & Dutchstar (gas), Holiday Endeavor gas, Winnebago Adventurer & Brave, and Fleetwood Southwind & Pace Arrow). But don't rule out any clean and well kept model. That Damon you found looks good for its age, but ad photos seldom tell the whole story. Or even most of it.

RVs are expensive and frustrating to get fixed, or even get routine services. It's a specialty field, so labor rates & parts are sky high, and since it's a mostly seasonal business the shops are mobbed in the nicer weather months. It's not unusual to wait 2-3 months for an appointment and more weeks to get parts of repairs completed. This make do-it-yourself a highly valuable trait. Most RV fixes are relatively simple if you have basic handyman skills and sites like this one can help a lot, but if you struggle with an Ikea table assembly an RV is gonna be a challenge. And you will need at least a smattering of electrical wiring and maybe some plumbing too.

Presently there is another thread here about buying an old MH that sat for 10 years. They started the engine and it broke 200 miles from home; bent rods etc.

I am one of the fortunate ones to own a 1994 chassis, 1995 body damon ultrasport 33 ft, gas with 460 engine. I purchased it from my father-in-law about 14 years ago with 23k on it. He was 1st owner. I now have 40k on it. Everything works good, coach and chassis and I would take it anywhere. Try and get as much info from owner including maintanance records. Check dates on tires, VERY IMPORTANT. It would be equally as important to find out what has already been replaced

Last edited:
To follow up on this, I feel a long list of repairs and upgrades on an older motorhome, is likely better than a short list, as chances are due to age many of them will have needed these things repaired, it is just a question of did the owner do the work to fix them, or just decide to live with them being broken.

As an example of living with broken things A few years ago a guy from one of the online forums that had just bought the same brand and model of coach as I have for very cheap, he dropped by for a visit while passing through the area, while here we crawled around under his new to him coach to check out of few things, one of the things we found was that the rubber bushings on his sway bars had completely rotted away and the only thing holding the sway bars on were the metal retaining straps, so clearly not a new problem, and something that should have been addressed long before, but wasn't.

Just my 2 cents. You accidently called it a Class C, have you considered one? I bought my 1997 C 10 years ago. Because they are built on a lengthened standard van chassis their drivetrain, brakes, suspension, belts, hoses, and cab parts for an old Class C are still readily available at any auto parts store. And salvage yards still have them around for used parts. Old heavy truck chassis not so much. And new tires will be a fraction of the price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g-man911
Back
Top Bottom