1997 Wilderness / need feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skinldy71

I am considering purchasing a fully refurbished 1997 Wilderness to use as a guest house.I am a total novice as what to look for that would indicate a problem, with leaking, ect. This trailer seems so much more well built than new trailers. Plus the remodel is phenomenal! Appreciate any feedback

Welcome to the forum.
First look for any staining all around the ceiling especially in the corners and around skylights/vents.
Walk around looking for dicey spots on the floor. You cZn even check the wall by pushing on them.
Go on the roof and inspect the rubber for cuts and tears. Also check the caulking T all the seams and any screw heads. There should be any visible unless they are stainless steel.
While on the roof check for soft spots
Check the manufacturers date on all the tires no matter how the threads look. Tires age out in time before they wear out typically. If they are 7/8 years old, you should think about replacing them.
Do you know anyone that has been rv’ing for a long time? If you do, take them with you

Good advice from Rene. Also verify that all appliances work, fridge, water heater, furnace, etc. And check the battery health, though a basic replacement battery is under $100.
Most of the above items are repairable or replaceable and not super-expensive if you are handy, but you want to have an idea of the potential expense before agreeing to the purchase price. But if you will have to reply on an RV shop or mobile RV tech for any repairs, any fixes will be expensive and probably take a lot more time than you will imagine.

It is very difficult to rate an older RV that has been remodeled as far as a fair price. It is also very possible that the remodel has dramatically changed the weight of the RV and the weight distribution. If you do not plan to tow it at all, I would make delivery to your location part of the deal if you buy it. Witho a ut knowing a lot more about it, there is no way that we could give you any feel for what the current value might be but it is safe to say that if sold to the retail market, it is highly unlikely to bring enough money to pay the cost of a complete remodel. As I look at used Wilderness travel trailers, the oldest one that I can find is a 2012 model asking $6,500. In the age range from 2012 to 2015 the price ranges well under $20k no matter the size of model.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbwrecker
Back
Top Bottom