8 of the Biggest Lies About Diesel Engines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

It says here.

BTW, for the last month or so, here in Reno, diesel has been a bit cheaper than gasoline at most gas stations.

Reno lowest prices today:

Diesel as low as $4.18 per gallon (Maveric Gas Stations).
Gasoline as low as $4.49 per gallon (87 octane, Sam's Club and Cosco).

-Don- Reno, NV

Another MSN masterpiece...

But actually MSN would appear wrong about the idea that diesel engines are not being phased out. In light duty passenger cars in the US, they actually are being phased out. Small gasoline engines built like diesels have replaced diesel offerings in many models.

REG. $2.99 Panama City, Fl. (With corn crap)
$4.40 without ethanol
Aviation 110ll $6.99 Apalachicola $8.25

Regardless, the most efficient way to move over the road freight is by diesel and that's not going to change anytime soon.

It has taken a long long time to prove the efficiency of the over the road diesel delivery system,, and billions of proven miles... including millions of jobs..>>>Dan

Regardless, the most efficient way to move over the road freight is by diesel and that's not going to change anytime soon
Depends on what you mean by "most efficient".

Efficiency of a diesel engine is 43% to 55%. Much better than gasoline.

Efficiency of EV motor=67%. Better than Diesel.

-Don- Reno, NV

I think EV motors can be even more efficient than 67%.

But I think folks mean efficiency in the traditional sense. It's the fastest, cheapest, and most common means of transport for goods besides rail, and environmental considerations aren't even part of the picture. Only when EV's are being discussed do those things matter.

I think EV motors can be even more efficient than 67%.
Yes, I was using the very low estimate for EVs as EVs lose more of their efficiency with higher weight loads than with diesel. But that is mostly lost in battery drain, not performance.

Yeah, for now "diesel" is more commonly used to move heavy loads around. The only question is when that will change.

In CA "Large trucking companies also must convert to electric or hydrogen models by 2042."

-Don- Reno, NV

With a heavy load and throw in terrain,, how much time will be dedicated to recharging.. while the diesel is barreling down the road..>>>Dan

Last edited:
I'm not sure this thread was meant to litigate EV's, again. But here are some true statements about small diesels if I'm remembering correctly.

Ford removed the 3.0 turbo-diesel from its full-size pickups. Now you can have an Ecoboost gas V6 or you can upgrade to a Powerstroke turbo-diesel V8 in the HD's.

GM removed the 2.8 turbo-diesel from its midsize pickups. It's been replaced with a turbo 2.7L gas 4-cylinder which provides more HP and torque where it's needed most.

Interestingly, GM still sells the smaller 3.0 Duramax diesel in its full-size pickups and SUV's.

Stellantis axed the 3.0 eco-diesel in the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, and its full-size Ram pickups.

You may no longer buy a VW/Audi or Porsche diesel in the US, in fact, Porsche is done with diesel.

In the early 60's, Consolidated Freightways,( the largest hauler in the day) went to all the truck tractor builders at the time ,,looking for a lighter built tractor.. All said "all our models are on display,, take your pick" Consolidated decide to manufacture it's own tractors,, so began the Freightliner Corp.. ( I worked for Freightliner for 5 years in the day) Freightliner began building ALUMINIUM TRUCKS ( AS MUCH ALUMINIUM AS POSSIBLE) Other trucking companies also wanted an aluminium truck to unable hauling heavier payloads,,, but freightliner built ONLY for Consolidated,,, so they took freightliner to court for having a monopoly on aluminum trucks and Freightliner was court ordered to open their sales to all buyers,,,, the rest is history.. So now we are about to build HEAVIER trucks full of batteries??.. Can you imagine over 100 trucks all trying to recharge at max rate at the same time at your local flying hook station???>>>>Dan
( I was a welder lead man at the Pomona, Ca. plant from 65 to 70 (

Last edited:
With a heavy load and throw in terrain,, home much time will be dedicated to recharging..
In the USA, truck drivers have 13 hours a day to charge. By law, they cannot drive more than 11 hours per day.

Even with two drivers at 11 hours each, you still have a couple of hours to charge at a million-watt truck charger or when they stop for a meal or whatever.

I assume in the near future; it will work out a lot better than many expect with zero loss in miles per day.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoadSage
Back
Top Bottom