Adding a hitch to Drop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tori27

I have a 2018 Winnebago Drop. I have an 80 pound generator. I am a female who travels alone with my dogs to dog sports. I cannot lift the generator myself. I have to have someone help me lift the generator out of the trailer where it's stored and travels, and someone to help me lift it back inside when I'm ready to leave.
I was thinking I could put on hitch on the back and a wheelchair cage to keep it in. Easy to roll it out if needed. I'm wondering if this would be possible with the spare tire underneath in the back. What are some solutions

one solution is to put the generator on a wheeler or cart to make it easier to move , putting it on the hitch would work as well , and you could hook to it without moving it

Thank you..The big problem is in transporting it. If I could keep it on a cage on the hitch, there would be minimal to no need to drag it around or lift it in and out of the trailer. My biggest question is if it's possible to install a hitch on this trailer. The spare tire is right underneath and I'm not sure there's room enough without changing things around l, such as removing the tire..And then where would I store THAT?
one solution is to put the generator on a wheeler or cart to make it easier to move , putting it on the hitch would work as well , and you could hook to it without moving it

Be careful about adding significant weight to the rear of a travel trailer as it will reduce your hitch weight. Insufficient hitch weight is a major cause of trailer sway as demonstrated in this video.

At first I'd have said that's a lot of weight to hang off the back of a small TT. However if you're already carrying it inside, aft of the axle, all you'd be adding is the weight of the receiver hitch and the carrier. You might consult the manufacturer to determine if the frame is stout enough to support a class I receiver hitch. eTrailer may be able to recommend something as well. Just pay attention to tongue weight though, any weight added aft of the trailer axle is going to reduce tongue weight and could induce a pendulum affect (sway). It would be better imo if there were some way you could carry it on the tongue.

At first I'd have said that's a lot of weight to hang off the back of a small TT. However if you're already carrying it inside, aft of the axle, all you'd be adding is the weight of the receiver hitch and the carrier.
You're also increasing the lever arm to the rear axle by a significant amount.

The problem with the rear bumper on many trailers is the strength of the bumper.. (Think reynolds wrap) It might not hold a bicycle carrier (No bike) let alone the generator.
But if someone goes to the FRAME.. yes that can work.
Now if you exteend the frame rails. then HINGE the tray.... (Like a fold down bicycle carrier)
That would be my best suggestion.. Pull the pins and fold the tray up when backing into a short site.

The problem with the rear bumper on many trailers is the strength of the bumper.. (Think reynolds wrap) It might not hold a bicycle carrier (No bike) let alone the generator.
But if someone goes to the FRAME.. yes that can work.
Now if you exteend the frame rails. then HINGE the tray.... (Like a fold down bicycle carrier)
That would be my best suggestion.. Pull the pins and fold the tray up when backing into a short site.
Those don't have a bumper, so she'd have to have a bolt on class I receiver if the manufacturer allows.

The gen is 80, the hitch and carrier are going to be at least another 50. The heaviest hitch weight on the website is 340. Hanging 130+ off the rear is going to lighten the hitch considerably. What is the wattage on the gen? Maybe you could consider the little Hondas that hook together to combine wattage

What is your load demand?

I have Honda inverter models Eu1000i and Eu2200i. The 2200s are heavy but the little 1000s are easy to lift and you can parallel two of them to equal the output of the 2200. And the little guy is very easy to start!

The gen is 80, the hitch and carrier are going to be at least another 50. The heaviest hitch weight on the website is 340. Hanging 130+ off the rear is going to lighten the hitch considerably. What is the wattage on the gen? Maybe you could consider the little Hondas that hook together to combine wattage
Tried that, didn't work. Wouldn't run the refrigerator or the microwave

What is your load demand?

I have Honda inverter models Eu1000i and Eu2200i. The 2200s are heavy but the little 1000s are easy to lift and you can parallel two of them to equal the output of the 2200. And the little guy is very easy to start!
Had a couple 200s? and coupled them but they didn't generate enough power for microwave or fridge.

I called the dealer, twice, but never get anyone on the phone or get a call back about this problem.
Looked at a transmission lift to help raise the generator to the trailer floor so I could pull it in from there, however, they are also 80 lbs with lower height of 9" so I would still have to lift the generator onto its bed and then lift the 80lb lift to put it away. UGH.

I have a 2018 Winnebago Drop. I have an 80 pound generator. I am a female who travels alone with my dogs to dog sports. I cannot lift the generator myself. I have to have someone help me lift the generator out of the trailer where it's stored and travels, and someone to help me lift it back inside when I'm ready to leave.
I was thinking I could put on hitch on the back and a wheelchair cage to keep it in. Easy to roll it out if needed. I'm wondering if this would be possible with the spare tire underneath in the back. What are some solutions
What are you towing with? If you have a truck you might permanently mount in the bed with a suitably capable cable to plug it in?

Back
Top Bottom