Anyone thinking of getting a new knee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something no one has mentioned yet, so I figured I would bring it up--infection. If your knee gets infected and they cannot get it better with meds, they will remove your prosthesis and put in a slightly bent solid rod. That will stay in while you will most likely get intravenous antibiotics for several weeks. It will also mean, you will be in a wheelchair for that period of time, and then you will get another knee replacement. This happened to a friend of mine this past winter.

So, if you have any hints of infection, make sure you see your surgeon immediately. Also, in the 18 years since my first knee replacement, the medical people have gone back and forth about the need for pre-medication for dental work, most importantly, teeth cleaning where a lot of bacteria are released. Usually, this means you have to take four antibiotic pills within a specific time before or after your dental procedure. Usually, your dentist will ask you about orthopedic replacements and order a prescription for you. They may give you a choice not to bother.

With my first knee, they recommended this for only a couple of years, but then more lately, they have been recommending it for life. No one wants to take more antibiotics than they need to, but several weeks or months in a wheelchair does not sound like fun, so with my slightly weakened immune system, I will take my antibiotics from now on to forever. Just something to think about.

I did the pre-antibiotic dentist thing for about a year. I only had to take 1 pill about an hour before the appt. tho.

Kevin is still taking antibiotics before dental visits. His ortho recommended to continue at least 2 years post surgery, and the doctor noted some people do it for a lot longer than that. In his case it is a couple of pills before the appointment and one after.

This thread would seem to reinforce my impression of knee surgery in general in that no two people experience the same level of discomfort post procedure.
So true. Chris (my better half) was off to the races in 6-8 weeks after her knee replacement. I'm past 11 months since mine, with no light at the end of the tunnel.

I was wrong in one of my earlier comments about antibiotics for dental work after a knee replacement. Kevin needs to take antibiotics the day before and for a full week afterwards, not just a day.

Yesterday was 30 days since new knee, and rehab tech measured my knee for range of motion. Said we/I no longer need to work on range as I have exceeded what the old knee will move, so now just work on stength. This has been a piece of cake as far as a knee replacement goes.

Yesterday was 30 days since new knee, and rehab tech measured my knee for range of motion.
Did he measure ROM in degrees? Therapy guy I was using had a large protractor, and initially I couldn't do better than 80 degrees. They apparently have a goal of 120 and, one day when he said "we made 121", I said "but that hurt a lot". He replied "I know, I heard you making a lot of noise". To get to 121, his shoulder was hard into my lower leg, and I was literally squealing with pain.

I do essentially the same thing (multiple reps) daily while sitting on a bench, but I can't get near 120. Add to that the fact that I'm in a lot of pain afterwards.

I was wrong in one of my earlier comments about antibiotics for dental work after a knee replacement. Kevin needs to take antibiotics the day before and for a full week afterwards, not just a day.
Mine are prescribed (by the ortho surgeon) only as "4 capsules 1 hour prior to dental work".

I called the dental office a couple of days ago, and they confirmed the above, adding that I could take them earlier that day because they'd "stay in my system".

>>Did he measure ROM in degrees? Therapy guy I was using had a large protractor, and initially I couldn't do better than 80 degrees.<<

Yes, the very first visit at 2 weeks where it was a consult visit and no workout yet, he measured and I was at 110 degrees and zero. He could not believe it as it was at the 2 week time frame and no therapy yet. At the other day, 3rd visit to rehab and 4 weeks post op 123 degrees and zero. This new procedure is well worth investigating for those needing knee replacement. Of course, everyone is different, some have much better outcomes than others, but overall most I talk with or read about on the Jiffy Knee forum are experiancing excellent results in short order.

Mine are prescribed (by the ortho surgeon) only as "4 capsules 1 hour prior to dental work".

I called the dental office a couple of days ago, and they confirmed the above, adding that I could take them earlier that day because they'd "stay in my system".
I should have been more complete. His latest dental work was installing the post for an implant. It means cutting the gum and screwing into bone. I am guessing the extensive work was what drove the need for the additional antibiotics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flying B
Back
Top Bottom