Atwood Water Tank Mixing Valve Leaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wincom6

When I filled the RV with water, for the first time this season. The mixing valve on the Atwood water heater started leaking.  I turned the water off and tapped on the valve and when I turned on the water  the drip had slowed but was still wet around the plastic top. Has anyone had this problem and is it easy to replace.  I think a new one is around $150 with shipping. This is a Atwood, model GE16 EXT. 10 gal.

I had that model in my 2006 Fleetwood Expedition and a friend replaced his on his Fleetwood.

Possibly the biggest issue is getting easy access to maneuver in. Both of ours were tucked in pretty good, almost as if the coach was built around them.

If you are already to the point where you have clear and easy access, I would hope it is a simple plumbing operation.

Kim

Thanks Kim,  I think I can get to it but I?m thinking a younger member of my family may be able to maneuver better than me.  I?m hoping the valve will stop leaking but I guess I?ll order one just in case.

wincom6 said:
When I filled the RV with water, for the first time this season. The mixing valve on the Atwood water heater started leaking.  I turned the water off and tapped on the valve and when I turned on the water  the drip had slowed but was still wet around the plastic top. Has anyone had this problem and is it easy to replace.  I think a new one is around $150 with shipping. This is a Atwood, model GE16 EXT. 10 gal.

I never new that there were mixing valves out there until reading this post. Do many of you have them and are they worth it?  Here's one on Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/Atwood-90029-Mixing-Valve-Heater/dp/B00HTN4PXE

The valve is used with the EXT model heaters. It is not an add-on for a standard heater.

The Atwood EXTs run at a higher internal temperature (160?) and then mix in colder water to reduce that to the usual 140 degree temperature suitable for the hot water faucets. This has the effect of providing a greater heater capacity - the 10 gallon EXT produces the equivalent of a 16 gallon standard heater. Adding a mixer to a standard heater has no value because the tank is still only a 140 degree heater. Mixing in cool water merely lowers the temperature, something you can already do at the faucet.

Thanks Gary. You enlightened me again. I never heard of mixing valves. I'm going to have to go out and see what model I have. The heater is behind a wall in my compartment so it's impossible to see. Thanks.

Just the crazy redneck in me has to ask.... Could a person change the thermostat on a Atwood to the higher 160*F style then add the EXT mixing valve?

Back
Top Bottom