BEGINNER FULL TIME TRAILER LIVING

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XSWEETJANE

I'm moving into a trailer in May and no nothing about what I need. If I could get some guidance please on necessities, hoses, levelers, etc. THANK YOU !!!

First off, are you parking your camper on one spot (long term) or are you traveling and moving every few days. How you set things up for each scenario will be somewhat different.

If traveling, everything will be set up temporary. If sitting long term, you can set up things more permanent. It does make a difference.

Are you going to have full hook-ups (water, electric, and sewer)? Or are you having only electric hook-up.

Are you parking in a State Park or Grandma's back yard. That also makes a huge difference.

As a bare minimum, you need something under to tires to make the camper level left to right. You can use lumber or RV Lego Blocks. Again, how you do this depends upon how long you are in one spot. Are you parking on grass, dirt, gravel, asphalt, concrete, or a sandy beach? That also makes a difference what you need under the tires.

You also need something stable under the stabilizer jacks (like a flat piece of plywood or Lego Blocks) so the jacks don't sink in dirt. If you are on concrete, you probably don't need anything.

You'll need an electric cord to plug into shore power. Is your camper a 30 amp system or a 50 amp system. Does it have 1 air conditioner or 2 air conditioners. If it has only 1 AC, more than likely it is a 30 amp camper. If it has 2 AC, it's going to be 50 amp. Knowing this is the most important thing you need to know about your camper. The power cords are completely different for 30 and 50 amp.

Where are you plugging power into? If in an RV park or State Park, your power source will probably have 20, 30, and 50 amp plugs. If you are plugging into someone house, you are probably plugging into a 15 amp service. If plugging into a house, you'll need step up / step down RV power cord adapters. Those step up and step downs are: Step up: 15 to 30. 30 to 50. Step down 50 to 30. 30 to 15. (I carry all 4 in my camper, but initially, you only need what you need right now)

One thing you really should consider is an EMS to protect the electronics inside your camper (EMS = Electric Management System) .... (AKA ... surge protector on steroids). You DO NOT want an Surge Protector. Get an EMS..... Not cheap, but the best insurance you'll ever have.

If you have sewer service, you'll need an RV sewer hose. You may need several feet of hose. How far is the sewer connection from the black and grey discharge port on your camper? Does your camper have 1 discharge port, or 2. How many holding tanks?

Will you have water hook up. If so, how far is the water spigot from the trailer. You'll need enough hose to reach. If you are going to run water from a hook up, you'll most definitely want a water regulator too so water pressure in your camper water lines won't exceed more than 50 psi. More and you could blow your lines apart. Are you going to use your on-board water tank and pump? If so, that changes things again.

After this, everything else is simply personal taste. Outfit your camper just like you would in your house. There's nothing special about outfitting your camper. You might start out with paper plates and a single pot on the stove, or you might have a 100 piece set of Revere ware. It doesn't matter .... whatever fits your lifestyle.

Again, these are the absolutely basics. After this, everything else is personal taste. What kind of toilet paper is your choice and what brand of tooth paste is your choice too. .... You are moving into a new home. Make it yours.

Good luck, happy camping, and enjoy that new camper!

Just on the front end, hope you don't have the illusion that living in a recreational vehicle full time is by any means inexpensive. It can be done, but most will tell you, you better be pretty handy OR have pretty deep pockets. That said, many used campers will come with the basics, and most everything after that is one trip to WalMart.

WOW :) one spot long term, full hook-ups, parked in a mobile home park on gravel, 1 air conditioner but the previous owner said I need 50 amp which the park has, I am unsure of how many tanks I have or how many discharge ports there are yet I just got it and wont be living in it for another 3 weeks (can you advise how I determine this), I will be hooked up to water and was advised there no reason to use my tank? and I'm sorry for sounding so clueless but what is the pump you are referencing ?.

You're OK for now, probably past the worst of winter but depending on where you are in NV the summer can be a booger in a trailer. : So it sounds like an established trailer in a park. Concern number one is the condition of the roof, and any potential water/rot/mold issues inside. If it's tight that's half the battle.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

At the top of this forum is a spot called resources. I encourage you to spend some time there. Then, Google basic questions you have, and watch videos. We can help solve most any problem you encounter, and as inexpensively as we can for you. It will take a basic understanding of what an RV is. And yes, your used water goes in 2 tanks, a grey tank for the shower and kitchen sink, and a black tank for toilet. Very important not to leave black tank open and drain straight to septic system in the ground.

It sounds like the camper is already stationary and set up, which is a huge "plus" for you. And you are in an established park which is another huge "plus".

Again, outfitting the camper will be your personal taste, just like outfitting an apartment or a house. If you are starting out from bare-bones scratch, then start out slow and easy. Get just your basic necessities. Goodwill, second hand thrift stores, yard sales, going out of business sales are all good places to get starter materials from ... like cook ware and dishes, extra lamps, curtains, things like that.

In time, those things will get swapped out for bigger and better. But to start, you do have to think in terms of being minimum. You may already have an entire house of "stuff" from your "former" life that you can use. But the point I'm attempting to make .... there is nothing special or different with those items you use in a camper that you'd use in a stick-n-brick house. Actually.... if it has the letters "RV" on the package .... you are paying way, way too much.

If you have not done so already, you will want to make sure the water heater is working properly. Does it run on gas and / or electric? Does the furnace run properly? Does the refrigerator run properly? AC's work OK, all lights.

It sounds like the camper is going to sit stationary, so wheel bearings, tires, springs, and suspension are not critical right now. But if you ever decide to take the camper on the road, you'll want the suspension checked and make sure the tires are not dry rotted.

Check the camper carefully for water intrusion. Look for water marks on the ceiling, walls, and floors. As stated above by another poster, check the roof for cracks in the calking. Water intrusion from the roof can quickly destroy a camper.

FYI.... if you are not hooked up to shore water (a water spigot), you can fill your fresh water tank in the camper. Then you flip a button on your wall panel to turn on your on-board water pump. The water pump will run for a few seconds, pressurize the water lines and then shut off. Every time you turn a faucet on, the pump will automatically turn on to keep pressure in the lines. When you connect to city water (the garden hose), the garden hose water supply will superceed the on-board water pump and the water pump will not turn on as water is now coming from shore water. When hooked up to shore water, keep the water pump switch "off". You don't need it. When you travel, you use your water pump and fresh water tank a lot.

Again .... good luck. Hope everything goes well for you.

It sounds like the camper is already stationary and set up, which is a huge "plus" for you. And you are in an established park which is another huge "plus".

Again, outfitting the camper will be your personal taste, just like outfitting an apartment or a house. If you are starting out from bare-bones scratch, then start out slow and easy. Get just your basic necessities. Goodwill, second hand thrift stores, yard sales, going out of business sales are all good places to get starter materials from ... like cook ware and dishes, extra lamps, curtains, things like that.

In time, those things will get swapped out for bigger and better. But to start, you do have to think in terms of being minimum. You may already have an entire house of "stuff" from your "former" life that you can use. But the point I'm attempting to make .... there is nothing special or different with those items you use in a camper that you'd use in a stick-n-brick house. Actually.... if it has the letters "RV" on the package .... you are paying way, way too much.

If you have not done so already, you will want to make sure the water heater is working properly. Does it run on gas and / or electric? Does the furnace run properly? Does the refrigerator run properly? AC's work OK, all lights.

It sounds like the camper is going to sit stationary, so wheel bearings, tires, springs, and suspension are not critical right now. But if you ever decide to take the camper on the road, you'll want the suspension checked and make sure the tires are not dry rotted.

Check the camper carefully for water intrusion. Look for water marks on the ceiling, walls, and floors. As stated above by another poster, check the roof for cracks in the calking. Water intrusion from the roof can quickly destroy a camper.

FYI.... if you are not hooked up to shore water (a water spigot), you can fill your fresh water tank in the camper. Then you flip a button on your wall panel to turn on your on-board water pump. The water pump will run for a few seconds, pressurize the water lines and then shut off. Every time you turn a faucet on, the pump will automatically turn on to keep pressure in the lines. When you connect to city water (the garden hose), the garden hose water supply will superceed the on-board water pump and the water pump will not turn on as water is now coming from shore water. When hooked up to shore water, keep the water pump switch "off". You don't need it. When you travel, you use your water pump and fresh water tank a lot.

Again .... good luck. Hope everything goes well for you.
I was wondering when choosing my hoses if it's smarter to buy all my hoses heated instead of insulating them winter , can I use them year round and just turn the heat on during winter? Also, I've seen levelers for the tires (the ramp looking ones) are these recommended and do I get 4 of them so each tire has one? Also what is the most sturdy thing to use for leveling , cinderblocks or?

Just on the front end, hope you don't have the illusion that living in a recreational vehicle full time is by any means inexpensive. It can be done, but most will tell you, you better be pretty handy OR have pretty deep pockets. That said, many used campers will come with the basics, and most everything after that is one trip to WalMart.
Partly disillusioned, but unexpectedly I had to make a decision to be homeless, entirely rent poor, or purchase a travel trailer..... seemed like the best option :)

The buy-in can be economical but the ongoing utilities, site fees and maintenance/repairs makes it expensive for what you get. If this is temporary, like a year or less you might make out OK but much longer than that and you're going to be paying in time and money you'll never get back. Hopefully you'll have identified a way up and out before the concept wears itself out.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Welcome to the forum.

Where will you be staying? Profile says you're from NV but that doesn't mean that's where trailer will be.

Won't previous owner be leaving hoses etc in it?

Presumably you are having it taken to the Mobile Home Park you will be staying in?

I know we are asking a lot of questions, but where you are and how you plan to use your trailer really is important. We know you are going to be stationary, but where in NV are you going to be located?

Mostly, in southern NV and Las Vegas, it is warm most of the year and you will be using electricity for AC and lights and TV, but I know it does get cold there. So knowing where you are is important to our answers, so please bear with us.

What did the current owner do with hoses? Also, you asked about tanks, but I was not sure if you were talking about water and sewage tanks or propane tanks. Which is it? If propane and you are permanently parked, talk to park management about getting a large outside tank. Many people in permanent parks have larger tanks that a company will come and refill on a regular schedule, so you will need to know about that. Probably you will need propane for cold nights in spring, winter, and fall, and for heat in the winter, especially at night.

And for cooking and personal stuff, just bring what you already have and add stuff as needed.

A lot depends on the weather in the area. Travel trailers are not very well insulated. You will use a good bit of propane if you plan on running the furnace.
You mentioned heated hoses so apparently it gets cold enough to freeze water.

If your trailer is already situated on a lot and you are staying there, does it have skirting around it?

Skirting is some sort of barrier that goes around the bottom of the trailer. It will help keep you warmer in the winter, but you have lots of time to worry about this before winter.

And this also is looking ahead, but you can get window film from a hardware and put it on the inside of your windows, which will also keep you warmer in the winter. There are instructions on the package and you should be able to do this yourself because I had no problems doing it. But again, you have lots of time to worry about this.

I was wondering when choosing my hoses if it's smarter to buy all my hoses heated instead of insulating them winter , can I use them year round and just turn the heat on during winter? Also, I've seen levelers for the tires (the ramp looking ones) are these recommended and do I get 4 of them so each tire has one? Also what is the most sturdy thing to use for leveling , cinderblocks or?
For a permanent set up blocking would be preferable and it should be anchored. I’m not going to get into a tutorial on how, because it’s a great way for a novice to get hurt. I would highly recommend you link up with an area mobile home moving outfit, those guys could block, level and tie you down in an hour or two.

Tell us the year, make and model of your camper. Will help us give good suggestions. Also, answer the questions others have asked. Will help us better help you. May seem we are a bit harsh but we are not. Just need to know so we can give good advice. Hoping this is a temporary situation as the expense may out way renting. If things are pretty bad, suggest contacting your county for any kind of assistance. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom