Best 2-Wheel Dolly for towing vehicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sabata12

Here's a question:
Those of you who use a 2-Wheel dolly to tow from a MH, which make and model do you use?

Mine's a Stehl. I bought it used and it has worked fine for me. Feature's I would look for.

1 - pivoting carrier - No need to have towed vehicle steering unlocked.
2 - Make sure it is wide enough. Narrow dolly's can allow car to impact dolly fenders on tight turns.
3 - Built in lighting
4 - Stowable pivoting ramps. On mine the ramps are fixed and the whole platform pivots for loading and unloading - Occasionally the ramps scrape on a gas station drive exit or such.
5 - Trailer brakes - Mine does not have them.
6 - It would be really nice to have one that stands up for storage - Like EZHaul but the first 5 features are more important to me.

1705930159653.png

I needed to use one for a year and picked up a used Master Tow dolly. That's one of the top brands, with sturdy construction, swivel wheel pads, tilting tongue, powerful ratchets and safety chains. Mine was equipped with electric brakes but surge is also available. Mine had metal fenders but the current model has rustproof molded fiberglass.

I'd recommend Master Tow, Stehl, Roadmaster, or the Demco KarKaddy. All very similar in quality and solid performers.

Keep an eye out at the local U-Haul. Every now and again, they sell off one of their dollies for a decent "used" price. And they are pretty sturdy.

I use a Demco Kar Kaddy w/surge brakes. I just didn't want to muck around with a brake controller. The wheels turn on it so you either lock the steering wheel or strap it with the seat belt, I do both.

Last edited:
Very pleased with master tow. Use a non stretch basket tire strap. Master tow latching is easy to tighten and release. Other brands may not be so easy. Do your homework. Make sure dolly has braking system. If your vehicle has Low ground clearance loading and unloading it can be an issue but overcome. Do your homework. Make certain dolly is wide enough for your vehicle; that the front quarter panel does not rub/strike dolly fenders when making a turn. Don’t tow above 60mph. Maintain proper dolly tire pressure.

I am on my second Master Tow. The first one I bought used for $925 around 2009, sold it in 2022 for $850. I put somewhere around 50K miles or more on that dolly. The only reason I sold it was because it didn't have brakes and we were going cross-country and I wanted one with surge brakes, which are the more expensive braking option over electric brakes on any dolly. No brake controller in the RV is needed, when the tow vehicle brakes, the dolly brakes.

I like the Master Tow HD80 which is wider than the 77 model, for many of the reasons Ex-Calif pointed out (I looked at Stehls) but with plastic fenders and attached loading ramps the MT is a little lighter and easier to move around my drive, or more so when arriving at a campground. It also comes with excellent 14" Goodyear Endurance S/T tires. With the tilt bed, you pull a pin under the dolly, drop the ramps, pull your vehicle onto the dolly, lock the steering wheel, and set the parking brake (which you will release after the tire straps are attached and the vehicle is secure on the dolly), replace tilt pin, attached tire straps (really fast and easy) and your ready to go. Of course, first, you have to have the dolly attached to your RV and the simple 4-pin lighting connector attached to the outlet on the rear of your rig and safety chains. When we arrive at a campground we will find a spot near the entrance to pull over and offload the car. Then I will detach the light plug, chains, and surge brake safety cable so when I get to the campsite I can jump out of the rig and quickly move the dolly from the rig to a parking spot at the site. This way I'm not blocking and tying up the road. I have seen some RV'ers with dollies and detachable ramps have to pull out cardboard or something and crawl under their car on the dolly to attach the ramps and remove safety chains and cumbersome tire strap setups.

In May 2022 I paid $2295 for my Master Tow brand new.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianw1234
Back
Top Bottom