Best Blocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use 4 (2 X 6 X12) boards screwed together with boards going in opposite directions. Added rope handles to make them easy to lift. For chocks a 4 X 4 X 8with a 45° angle on one side and rope handles.

Lumber, solid blocks. Heavy, but are the best. I got some timbers from a 100 year old barn some (40) years ago and cut them to length with a chain saw because the wood was so petrified. I've been using them ever since for ever camper and trailer we've had. I keep repainting them different colors ever few years, but those things have stood the test of time, have never failed, and probably will still be around for my great grand kids to use someday.

https://i.imgur.com/Jo1hwQn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zrmPT0W.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/UEy4uQA.jpg

I like solid boards or any kind of solid feet for tongue, stabilizer jack or 5er nose feet. I do not like the plastic honeycomb type jack/stabilizer feet that can crack and can sink in soft ground...although lots of people use those. Just my personal choice and recommendation to people that ask.

I just use 2x6 blocks which are free so if a couple of them break it's no big deal.

Treated 2x6 for me. Sure it adds weight but nice and solid. Also have those plastic pads for dry campgrounds. Am not limited on weight so no big deal adding the boards. They usually last 3 or so years befor needing replacement.

2-foot long 2x12s is all I have ever used.

Bought two 12-foot long 2x12’s, cut them into six pieces and presto - an even dozen 2x12 blocks for a fraction of the price of those plastic things.

Bought a couple of those curved wedges that work whenever the site is uneven. Usually bring along a couple of 2 x 12" planks for any additional lift I might need.
They cover all the bases for me.
Safe travels and all the best.

The ideal wood block is made from pieces of exterior-grade plywood glued & screwed together to make the desired thickness. The reason is the plies in plywood are criss-crossed so it won't split easily like 2-by lumber. But neither plywood nor lumber is as light and convenient as plastic blocks. With my last 3 big motorhomes, I had plywood blocks for the jack legs and also carried a few 2x10 in case I needed something under one or more wheels.

Big rigs usually don't lack for weight capacity and storage spaces, but B-vans, trailers and smaller motorhomes may not have a lot of either. Sometimes those limitations lead to compromise solutions.

You can use either the orange Lynx blocks or the yellow Camco. There is no real difference in durability between them. They are not interchangeable, the lug patterns are different. So whichever you choose you are stuck buying the same brand next time.
We have 5 sets and haven't bought a set yet. Dealers throw them in free with the purchase of the rig, door prizes at RV events, and found a few in the woods left at boondocking sites.

I carry 12x16 plywood boards to put under them on soft ground. Also have some rubber horse mats for rocky/uneven ground.

I like the plastic ones over lumber as I can hose the mud off easily and then a few minutes in the sun dries them. Lumber stays wet and are heavier.

Back
Top Bottom