Boondocking in the Rockies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeLight77

I learned the hard way that it's difficult in May to find a campsite for July with full hookups. However I've found several campsites that appear to be maybe managed by the state or national park service? With no hookups. (Example, found through recreation.gov)... is it legal to run generators at those types of sites?

I don’t know why couldn’t. Are there campsites surrounding one another?
I would in general think it would kind of go with the common rules, after certain hours, say 10 PM or before a certain hour in the morning you could not run a generator. Otherwise, I couldn’t see why there would be an issue. Have you talked to anyone at the campground?
Scott, Orlando

Public, primitive campgrounds run by BLM, NFS, or other agencies can have widely divergent rules. You need to look up each campground and see the rules. Some allow generators 24 hours, some only at certain times of the day (generally something like 8-10 and 4-6), and some just have standard quiet hours prohibiting generators from 9 or 10 at night until 7 or 8 in the morning. Note the higher in elevation you go, the less you will need AC.

In addition to this look up dispersed camping with the national forest service web site, many places allow camping wherever you can find a spot along forest service roads outside of campgrounds for free.

Just left the Rockies last month. I stayed In the Estes NP campground called Moraine Park Campground. First come process and stayed for 14 days. Only a couple of sections were open. No hookups, gen hours (7am-10pm) and all the animals you'd ever want to see right at your front door. Highly recomend. Note, you can only stay in the NP a total of 14 days a year. As of the 27th of May it opened and reservations required.

Just left the Rockies last month. I stayed In the Estes NP campground called Moraine Park Campground. First come process and stayed for 14 days. Only a couple of sections were open. No hookups, gen hours (7am-10pm) and all the animals you'd ever want to see right at your front door. Highly recomend. Note, you can only stay in the NP a total of 14 days a year. As of the 27th of May it opened and reservations required.
Webber46…does that campground handle Class A motorhome’s? Thanks for the info!

Sorry for the delay, had a bout with the flu and haven't been on here. Yes they have sites for motorhomes. Mine is 40' and had to do some work to get in but got it in a tent camping site that was ment for two sites. Still left room for the second site. Rangers said it was fine. Remember it was in April 10th and the park didn't open until the 27th.

Sounds good. Is it difficult to make reservations for those campgrounds? How did you get in the campground if it was closed in April, just curious? Or was the campground open and not the park?
Thanks,
Scott,Orlando

nothing ruder than have a screaming generator fire up at 6am so you can brew some coffee. be considerate of others. I ran a CPAP off an extra car battery when I went tent camping at Yellowstone, then charged it with jumper cables in the evening before sun down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boklm
Back
Top Bottom