Build a model train track in your RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ian,

There's no question this is a great way to enjoy the hobby with limited space. Meet your friends at a convenient location and set up the railroad. It's a lot easier to finish a couple of modules than try to construct a whole layout! More food for thought. ;D

Well I am certainly thinking of it. I have loads of wood and bits of normal track, a few N buildings, think I even have a loco or two somewhere. I'm sure I could at least get a start this way and perhaps someday convert the buildings and landscaping into a track. For now this modular technique might be the closest I get to having my own track.

Jim and others, just an update on a recent event that highlighted T-Trak layouts. This comes from the T-Trak mailing list:
Jim Nealand, his son Brad, Gary Martin (from the Atlanta area) and myself joined forces at Railroad Days in Athens, GA and set up a 6 table layout. Some pix are in  Photo section. http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/t-trak/photos/browse/4e72
The layout was U shaped with a log on one leg. We had 4 ovals with 5 trains running. We used DCC on the outside line and Dc on inside tracks.
Railroad Days is an annual affair jointly sponsored by The Community Council for Aging and the Athens Bend Track Club of which I am a member. We also had a large Bend Track layout, a large Lego layout from Atlantis, a Garden RR layout and an HO layout.
As soon as I can get a listing of events and clubs I will post it here so you can plan on seeing some of this stuff while travelling around the country.

A little while ago the 10th  National N Scale Convention was held in Adelaide. About 90 mins drive South of me and I wasn't able to get to it <deep sigh>

Here are some pictures of the exhibit, mostly showing the T-Trak modular layouts.
http://www.rmcq.mixedpk.com/nsc2007b.html

The rest of the exhibits are shown on this page, they're mostly built using the larger N-Trak modules.
http://www.rmcq.mixedpk.com/nsc2007a.html

Jim and others, here are some very interesting modules built in Japan to the style of romoji, their own interpretation of what a module should look like. The text comes from the T-Track mailing list that I am on.

"Romoji" is short for Romen Module, the Japanese "version" of T-Trak.  There was a small layout at a train "festa" I participated in last weekend.  You can see photos here: http://www.houseofflameandglass.com/railroad/romoji/
One point to note is that the concept of "standard" seems pretty fast and loose.  Single, double, triple track?  OK!  Alternate or original spacing?  OK!  Built to 4" height, or raised on legs?  OK!  Adapter modules?  OK!  Kato, Tomix, flex track?  OK!  Any way you want to construct it?  OK!

I am including this to show the wide variety of module options, and just how much you can make your modules reflect your own desires and interests and still run with others.

New to the this forum, for a family reunion in Baja in 2004, I built an N-scale layout, 52" x 26" to fit on my dash. For the 42 people at the reunion, I had one car for each person that was unique to that person at that time. Made forms to fill out for those that wanted to participate and see if they could identify who went with what car. Many had fun with it. In addition, part of the layout was a John Allen "Timesaver puzzle built into it. 

Hi Ian,

Interesting layout. They even have one double decker. Looks like the lower level is probably a street car run. I notice they don't go into scenery as much as the US does. Of course, it's harder with such small modules.

Jim

I loved that double decker layout, I think it really shows how much interest can be packed into a small space.

And even that layout would not be out of order to have been built in a reasonably sized RV. That's what attracts me so much to the system, it isn't going to take up anywhere near the same amount of room as a 'normal' sized layout but when joined with other matching units the whole collction can be a very interesting working layout.
The other point is that the other half of the team can provide input on layout, buildings, colours and features. It really can be a shared hobby.

Ian said:
Thanks for responding.

That sounds like a great way to have fun with both the family and your hobby.

Any pictures?

Ian,
Never thought to take any pictures and is now stored in my garage.  With our new motorhome it s 4" too long to fit on the new dash.
Jim

Sorry for the late notice, only just got the post myself.

------------------------ from the T-Trak mailing list -----------------------
Joseph Martin <[email protected]>
to n_scale, t-trak

If you are in the Louisville area, the Great Train Expo is this weekend at the Convention Center, January 26th and 27th,

10 AM to 4 PM each day.

The KSONS and the Nashville N-Trak will have a 50 by 50 foot layout planned.

The T-Trak groups of the KSONS and the RMRA are planning on a T-Trak layout that is to fit a 28 x 14 foot area (with inside pit).

If you are in the area, stop by the T-Trak layout and say hi to me, unless I'm out taking pictures.

Thanks,

Joe Martin

Just updating an old thread... and didn't want to lose all the good info that has gone before ;)

At last I have started my T-Trak module as I have promised to have it ready for a Model Railway Show in June so it is pressure time for Ian LOL

I have started a page on my web site for a blog style report of progress: Hobbies / Obsessions

As you will be able to see from the pics, a standard module isn't all that big (310mm x 300mm) and other than the crafting to make the basic box it shouldn't take up much space in your RV, not much space at all. I hope this triggers off other modules being made by the Framily, who wants to join in the fun?

And just so you can see what a wealth of possibilities there are, here are some pics from modules others have made, from the simple to the super detailed.
Note that there is no difference in module size between the first picture and the picture of the canal, both are 308mmx300mm! The difference is the imagination and the detail that the maker wanted to use! A Double module is simply 620mm wide with the rest in the same proportions.

I have also included pictures showing how groups have put their layout together. You can clearly see the different techniques and materials used. In one layout the corner modules shown are actually made from structural foam without any timber. Another layout used plastic container trays to support their modules.

Lastly, there is a pic showing one really great reason to be building your own modules, so the younger generation can enjoy the thrill of seeing what the grands have built ;)

Enjoy.

Attachments

• 1-t-trak007.jpg
    1-t-trak007.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 2a-t-trak008.jpg
    2a-t-trak008.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 2b-Rural America.jpg
    2b-Rural America.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 3-aaronttm2.jpg
    3-aaronttm2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 16
  • 4-Double Module Bridge Section by John Rumming.jpg
    4-Double Module Bridge Section by John Rumming.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 5-The canal 308mm x 300mm By bfi1900.jpg
    5-The canal 308mm x 300mm By bfi1900.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 6-The Wharf 1 A double module with Kato siding By bfi1900.jpg
    6-The Wharf 1 A double module with Kato siding By bfi1900.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 7-c787.jpg
    7-c787.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 8-e59a.jpg
    8-e59a.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 9-Just at my height.jpg
    9-Just at my height.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 17
That last layout is what my model railroads looked like.  I loved building the base, laying the track, and wiring the electronics but hated the scenery, so they were pretty plain.  Do they do modules in Z scale?  That's about all that would fit in an RV.

Ned, they do have a Z module, but it is about the same size, 328mm x 280mm: http://users.picknowl.com.au/~austnscale/austtrak-z.htm

But look at the size of the N gauge T-Trak in Archaic (Imperial) ...  W 12 1/8" x D 8 1/4" x H 2 3/4"  ... now that really isn't that hard to fit into a spare box in a cupboard or storage area. And I can assure you, the older the eyes get the larger the scale you want to be working with, and N is just about my limit at this time ;)

The T-Trak home is at http://www.t-trak.org

I have also attached a list (probably not up to date) of T-Trak clubs in the USA, maybe there is one close so you can see some modules and get an appreciation of the size they take up?

Attachments

• clubme1a.gif
    clubme1a.gif
    43 KB · Views: 5
Ian, I've built HO and N scale layouts, but there is no room in our motorhome for anything larger than Z scale.  Even that would be tight fit, IF I could convince Lorna it's something we really need :D

You could put a whole Z scale oval in 328x280mm, I think.

Ahh, sorry for the confusion Ned, I thought you were still talking about building it in the modules. If it is small track you want, and your eyes can stand the strain, then you need to look at T gauge. http://www.t-gauge.net/

Now this is something that is suited to an RV lifestyle, it is 1/450!!

Here is a good video example of just how small this scale is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XN3MX4ZrCk&NR=1

Attachments

• tgb.jpg
    tgb.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 11
Unfortunately, prices are inversely proportional to the scale, making the smaller gauges too expensive for a casual hobby.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rkcole1974
Back
Top Bottom