Daily brake check

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

I was taught to manually activate the trailer electric brakes at the 1st stop in the morning. Easy enough to confirm the trailer brakes are responding to the brake controller. seems like a good habit like doing a final walk around before hitting the road.

While driving during the day I'll occasionally turn on my parking lights. The trailer has a sidelight I can see in my driver's side mirror and even during the day I can see it's bulb come on and verify the trailer plug is still connected.

While driving I'll during the day I'll occasionally turn on my parking lights. The trailer has a sidelight I can see in my driver's side mirror and even during the day I can see it's bulb come on and verify the trailer plug is still connected.
That's actually a good idea. Doesn't do anything to check your brakes, however.

I’ve always checked the trailer brakes when just starting to roll after hooking up. Towing the camper was always done with headlights on for safety and powering the rear camera.

I’ve always checked the trailer brakes when just starting to roll after hooking up. Towing the camper was always done with headlights on for safety and powering the rear camera.

Lights always on, even if it's just the parking lights. My rear camera warns me when the lights are not on. It doesn't work!

I have a Tekonsha P3 brake controller. Before I break camp, I activate my brake controller and with the P3 I can check both the voltage applied and the current draw. From this I can determine if all four brakes are drawing current. At this same time, I check the tire pressures of all tires with the TPMS system.
If I detect a problem, I can trouble shoot the problem before I break camp.

Like several others, I always have the trailer running lights on when towing. I do also check the side markers in the mirrors to be sure that things are connected.
Some states like CA don't allow driving with just the parking lights on during the day. You have to light the headlights or nothing.

I do a pull test every time I hook up so the brakes get checked.
Lights on when trailering.
That ^^^^ is what I was going to post also.....a pull test to verify that the 5ver hitch is in fact correctly connected and locked in....every single time the trailer is unhooked and rehooked to the truck. And like you basically said.....two birds with one stone.

you have to light the headlights or nothing.
That does cause the trailer's running lights to be on.. :p I suppose that I should have mentioned that I turn the headlights on but the subject was the trailer's running lights so I failed to say how I got those lights on. For me, turning on the headlights is part of preparing to tow, followed by a check of all lights.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom