Dometic Weather Pro Power Awning power module question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rctour

A tree limb jumped out and hit my awning, you gotta watch those moving trees. ;)

My old awning was on a 2006 Tour, as is now my new one.  My basic question is old vs. new power modules.

The old power module has the shape of a square, the newer one is rectangular (Pt Nums 3309114.10 vs. 3311916.000).

The old power module works fine with the new awning, except for the wind sensor.  I don't ever remember seeing a wind sensor on top of the MH, where they used to be installed.  The new awning came with a wind sensor that fits on the end of the arm.

When the new awning was installed the installer asked if I wanted the new system install because the old sensor didn't work, I asked how much would that cost, he said $1,000.  I said forget it, but when I got home I discovered the new module, wires and sensor was in a box in my MH.  So the $1,000 would have been for labor only, too much.

Question:  Are the two boxes plug and play (with some modifications)?  It seems to me that the functions of the two boxes are the same, in and out of door and patio awnings and wind sensor.  Aren't all the wires leading to the awning the same?  Even the FOB is the same, new / old.

I tried to call Dometic, they have NO tech support.  They direct you to a dealer, I'm not going to do that.

Thanks for your help!

Boy, I can't say for sure but I would imagine there are at least some minor differences between the old and new power module. The differences might be very minor and have no significance to your operation though. You might check owners manuals wiring etc just to see if you can see anything but if you can see the wiring is the same I would use it as is. I would also add that the first thing I did was shut off my wind sensor and have never turned it on again. Way too much in/out for me. If needed I simply use a couple ratchet tie downs on my awning with one side a bit lower in case we get rain. If things get bad I can always roll it up. Maybe another new awning owner will chime in here, welcome to the forum too.

You have ask a good question.. The "Old" wind sensor is a small "lighthouse" that is usually more or less directly above the module, and you are right, it does not work or at least they very often do not work (There are ways you can improve performance but frankly I turned mine off)

If the awning is working with the old module then I suspect the new module will be nearly plug and play, there is, nowever one "Gotch-ya"

The new sensor.

it will need to be mounted on the arm (simple, parts are provided) but it needs to be WIRED to the control module, This will involve drilling holes in the motor home and routing wires.

ONE thing.. The way they routed the wires at the factory on my coach was what I call "The scenic route". Wire runs down inside the wall to the very bottom of the mount (forward) and then out and up the arm.

When I shortened my awning due in part to that front arm being in the worst possible place and in part to damage I re-routed, the wire now goes out the wall at about the lower piviot point on the moving arms (not the lower mount) this resulted in a much shorter wire run and a far easier install, but I had to drill a new hole.

Oh, and the original... leaked (I sealed it) the new one does not (I sealed it too)

I appreciate your knowledge and experience guys!

Given that the installation would require $1,000 of PROFESSIONAL time, I'll assume it's not an easy fix.  Given I've never had a working wind sensor, I shouldn't miss not have one now.  And lastly, I see the module kit I have is selling on EBay for about $150+, I guess I'll try and sell mine to get back some of my insurance deductible.

Thanks again :D

Back
Top Bottom