Emergency brake switch causing leveler issue - problem solved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoelP

I am posting this in case somebody else with an older Workhorse chassis may find this useful.

Recently I noticed that my levelers were not deploying when I turned on the controller. On my last trip I had the levelers down, but when I put the key in the ignition and turned it the levelers suddenly retracted. Fortunately, I was on a very level site so the slideouts were not impacted. Upon closer examination I saw that the levelers indicated that the emergency brake was not set, even though it was fully set. I released the emergency brake and then set it again. After that, the indication on the slide control showed no emergency brake error.

It occurred to me that I might have a faulty emergency brake switch. I wrote to Lichtsin to order one for $60, but it was out of stock. I removed it to see who made it for Workhorse, which was easy access for the Workhorse chassis. To my surprise it was a very primitive design. It consisted of a strong spring that extended a shaft from a plastic body. On the other end of the shaft was a flat washer that was pinged to the shaft for retention. When the shaft moved the washer made contact between the brass contacts to ground and power. I was able to sand off the oxide that has accumulated over 14 years on the washer and the brass and applied a little contact paste. It seems that my problem is solved.

Attachments

• IMG_1344 (2).jpg
    IMG_1344 (2).jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1343 (1).jpg
    IMG_1343 (1).jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 4
THAT Type of switch is also used for the doom / courtesy lights on cars so when you open the door. or at least it was for many many years. Used for a lot of other stuff too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stubblejumper
Back
Top Bottom